Apple App Store Upgrade to 6.5.2 Claims it's Corrupt, Wants a new Download for $64.99

bethanyg
bethanyg
Community Member

Was notified through the App store that there was an update (6.5.2) available for 1Password. Yes - I have been ignoring it for a while. Decided to bite the bullet and upgrade, only to get a message through the auto-updater that I needed to download it directly from the App Store page. So I did that - but when the update was complete, the App went through a verification process (I assume this was to check a license key - which, of course doesn't exist for App Store users), and then informed me that the file was corrupt, and I needed to delete the program, re-download the application, and re-install it. Upon re-visiting the App Store to do just that, I was prompted to buy the app all over again. Was this update supposed to be a paid one? My previous version of 1Password is 6.3.3 (633000) - Mac App Store.

Good thing I back up my machine fully before upgrading anything, since I didn't feel like paying another $64.99 to re-install for updates that I may or may not use. I restored from backup, and now am being prompted again to upgrade through the app store, which I won't do, since it will more than likely brick the program once again.

If this is a paid update then the update needs to say so up front - not brick my program and hold me hostage for money. Also - how can I convert my license so that I can receive updates directly from Agile Bits? Is that possible? Getting harassed by my auto-updater (instead of in-app) is pretty annoying. As is dealing with the Apple App store. Makes me sorry I ever made the purchase there. Thanks for your help!

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Used
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Wired/Non-Cloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bethanyg: If the App Store is trying to charge you for the app, either you're not logged into the correct Apple ID, you didn't purchase from the App Store in the first place, or there's some other issue with your account — in which case, you may need to contact Apple to get that sorted out.

We don't have any records matching either your name or email. Did you perhaps use different information at the time of purchase? Alternatively, if you did purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store, we won't have any record of it, as it is owned and operated by Apple. But you can download it again from the App Store at any time since it is tied to your Apple ID. Just go to your purchase history and search for it.

If you're still having trouble finding it, please check your records, as you'll have an email receipt regardless of where it was purchased. It should also include transaction details that may help track it down. And then if you like, email us at support+licenses@agilebits.com with a copy of the Mac App Store receipt and we'll be happy to give you an AgileBits Store license instead. Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.