Bug in v. 6.5.2

grburgess
grburgess
Community Member

With the extension enabled in Safari 10.0.1, I am no longer able to reply to comments in YouTube. I get the message, "comment failed to post". But with the extension disabled, then this problem vanishes. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to fix this bug.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@grburgess: Thanks for reaching out! This is a really strange thing. While I'm not able to reproduce the issue you're having, it reminded me of a YouTube problem I've had for a long time but haven't had the time or inclination to investigate...so thank you for giving me an excuse! ;)

It turns out that in the process of trying to reproduce your issue, I fixed mine. So I wonder if it's rated in a way, and if what worked for me will work for you. Ultimately 1Password doesn't have any control over the browser itself, but certainly a runaway buggy script on a page can have a bad interaction from time to time. You may have to go much farther than this, but I think we should start small, since some more extreme measures are more of a hassle.

I actually wasn't able to even view YouTube comments for months. The page would load and the video would play, but the Comments section would always say "Loading..." and just sit there. Enabling and disabling extension s made no difference (I hadn't thought to even try this until you mentioned it). So I figured, what the hey, let's clear YouTube's cookies and such from Safari (since I haven't encountered anything like this in other browsers). I went to Safari Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data, and typed "youtube" into the search box and Removed the two entries that turned up. I reloaded the YouTube page I had open, and lo and behold the comments were back!

Now, I remember that the issue you were having was not being able to post comments, so I tried that: both with and without 1Password, no problem. So I'm thinking try clearing your YouTube cached data in Safari and see if that helps. I'm glad it helped in my case, because I didn't want to clear Google altogether and have to re-athenticate every account all over the place tonight. However, if you're still having the same issue, you may have to go further in order to get things cleared up on your system:

• Reinstall the 1Password extension, in case it's damaged.
    • Disable other extensions
    • Clear Google cached data from Safari
    • Reset Safari completely by clearing all history and website data (almost certainly unnecessary)

Let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• grburgess
    grburgess
    Community Member

OK, sorry it took so long to get back to you. Anyway, I had actually previously wiped out all the cache of Safari, and that made no difference, I had no other extensions, and I use the latest version of everything and my 5K 27" iMac is the latest incarnation of that. But I tried several things, and now it doesn't work, so to tell you the truth, I can't quite isolate what caused the problem now. I can't remember if I reinstalled that extension or not, but I think that I did in fact do that. I didn't even know about the "Safari Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data, and typed "youtube" into the search box and Remove it" tricks that you mentioned, but I did that just now for good measure, even though I no longer have the problem, at least on this machine. I'll get back to you if it reappears.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm happy to hear it's working correctly for you now! Hopefully it all continues to work well, but if you run into problems with 1Password or have questions about it, please don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.