Mac / Chrome: 1P extension suddenly not working. Error message: "Looking for 1P app"

webpuddin
webpuddin
Community Member

Suddenly the 1P extension in Chrome has started giving me error messages: "Looking for the 1Password app. The 1Password app must be installed for the extension to work properly. Couldn’t connect to 1Password, Make sure you have the 1Password app installed. If you're still experiencing problems follow the simple steps on our support site or contact us." Of course, I DO have 1P app. Get this message whether 1P app is running or not. I have also gotten a little message that Chrome requires 1P in MENU bar (as opposed to just toolbar on Chrome window) - so I put it there as well. I have tried: Relaunch Chrome; Restart Mac; remove & reinstall extension, with Mac/Chrome restarts afterwards; trying with 1P open & w it closed. It has been running without incident since I installed it on this computer new in Jan 2015. I was a few builds behind in 1P when problem started, so updated to current version hoping for 'obvious' solution. No help, even after all restarts. Out of ideas. Dropbox sync - I have no problems accessing my dropbox folder otherwise. Use it frequently.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2.20
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Mac / Chrome: 1P extension suddenly not working: "Looking for 1P app"

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @webpuddin,

I'm sorry the 1Password browser extension stopped working correctly! We'll help you get to the bottom of this one way or another.

In order for the 1Password browser extension to work, it must connect to 1Password mini (i.e. the 1Password icon in your Mac's menubar). The problem you described can happen if 1Password mini isn't running, or if something is blocking communication between mini and the browser extension.

Let's start by checking a setting:

• Open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar.
    • Click the General tab.
    • Make sure the option for "Always keep 1Password Mini running" is enabled.

If that option was disabled, that would explain the problem with the extension. On the other hand, if it was already enabled, please try restarting 1Password mini:

• Open the main 1Password app.
    • Go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini in the menubar.
    • Once it restarts, try using the extension in Chrome again.

If you still have the same problem when you try to use the extension, we have some more troubleshooting suggestions here: If the 1Password extension isn't working in your browser

Does anything in that article help? Please let us know how it all goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• webpuddin
    webpuddin
    Community Member

I had already done all of the things on the linked page including removing & reinstalling the extension; and of course quitting 1P, Chrome; relaunching; and quitting & restarting iMac. I have now restarted 1P mini. All appropriate check boxes. 1P shows in MENUBAR as well as TOOLBAR. All I can get from them are menus; no login / 1P function. NONE of this has had any effect. Problem remains. No longer error message - just a Toolbar icon that does nothing except looks like it left-clicks. (it will right click & give a little menu) Never goes to a login like it used to do. Thanks for the assistance. Look forward to other avenues.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @webpuddin,

Thanks for trying my steps and the suggestions from that knowledgebase article. It sounds like the problem is a little different now, since you aren't seeing the "Looking for the 1Password app" error anymore. But I'm not sure I understand what's happening instead:

All I can get from them are menus

[...]

No longer error message - just a Toolbar icon that does nothing except looks like it left-clicks.

Can you please elaborate on what happens when you click on the extension in Chrome's toolbar? What are the "menus" that you see? If you can give us a few more details about what happens when you click on the extension (and/or on the 1Password mini icon in the menubar), we'll have a better idea about what's going on and how to proceed from there. Thanks in advance! :)

• webpuddin
    webpuddin
    Community Member

Thanks ... but problem is solved! Agile Bits tech support examined a Diagnostics Report. They observed that I was running Sophos anti-virus and that it requires 'self-referencing' via network protocol. I therefore had to enter the self-referencing IP address in Sophos preferences as per: "https://support.1password.com/configure-sophos/". For future purposes those symptoms are: You can right click on the TOOLBAR extension icon, and it will give you a menu. The menu it displays now that it is working again is the same menu it displayed when it was not. General 1P stuff, but no "here is the username/password for the page you're on". The left click would at that time for a day or so gave the error message; and then began to simple do nothing at all. The MENUBAR icon is different now. It appears that there is a new line in it: the second line is now a 'login' line for the current web page and will sign me into login pages as it should. That line did not exist previously and only has shown up since I configured Sophos to allow self-referencing. Just thought this might help you if anyone else has similar problems. Thanks so much for your response and interest in helping! I've used Sophos for quite some time and don't recall having to have set it up like this before; not sure if that is due to changed in Sophos, Mac OS, or 1P. Or - I find as I involuntarily face the effects of senior-citizenry - it could very well be my memory!!! :-) Thanks again!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @webpuddin! I didn't realize you had also contacted us via email and were receiving help there. I'm glad to hear the problem is solved now. Thanks for following up here to give us details about the solution, I'm sure it will be helpful for others who might be in the same situation!

We're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great day! :)

This discussion has been closed.