sync does not match between devices when using iCloud

hburchinal
hburchinal
Community Member

I have 2 macs and 2 iPhones all syncing to the same iCloud database and none of them match. On one I have 234, another 209, another 200 and another 198. The differences between all of them are different items and not pattern. All have been recently synced with no errors. Please help. I do not want to use Dropbox as its an account used by other people in my organization.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6.5.2
OS Version: MacOS Sierra 10.12.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:sync does not match

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hburchinal,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble syncing your 1Password data via iCloud!

Let's start by checking the sync settings on each device to make sure iCloud sync is set up properly:

On each Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar.
    • Click the Sync tab and make sure iCloud is selected for your Primary vault.
    • If it shows a different sync option or says None, enable sync with iCloud by following the steps here: Sync with iCloud (Mac)

On each iPhone:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary.
    • Make sure it shows the Sync Service is iCloud.
    • If it shows a different sync service or says Start Syncing, enable sync with iCloud by following the steps here: Sync with iCloud (iOS)

Please let us know how it goes. If iCloud sync wasn't enabled on all 4 devices, does enabling it solve the problem?

If it's enabled in 1Password on all devices but not working correctly, you can find more troubleshooting suggestions here: If you're having trouble syncing with iCloud

Does that help at all?

• hburchinal
    hburchinal
    Community Member

I did confirm that on both macs they are both set to Primary and iCloud and I have attached pictures showing the discrepancy between all the difference devices.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @hburchinal!

I did confirm that on both macs they are both set to Primary and iCloud...

Please make sure you check the sync settings on your iPhones as well. Are they both set up to sync the Primary vault with iCloud?

I have attached pictures...

Thank you very much for the screenshots! One thing I noticed in the screenshots from your Macs is that you have 'All Vaults' selected in the vault switcher (in the top left corner of the main 1Password window, above the item categories). The only vault that syncs with iCloud is the Primary vault, but the 'All Vaults' view might include items from other vaults as well.

On both Macs, please click on the vault switcher in the top left corner of the 1Password window and select 'Primary'. When viewing just the Primary vault, how many items are shown?

• hburchinal
    hburchinal
    Community Member

Thanks Drew. Yes I confirmed that my iPhone is also setup the sync primary with the iCloud. See pics. Also I went and changed from All Vaults to Primary and still a huge discrepancy on the amount of records. I know of several records that I have produced on one Mac and even after a week it still hasn't populated on the other.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks again for the screenshots, @hburchinal!

It looks like you also have multiple vaults on your iPhone, so you'll want to switch to just the Primary vault there as well. From the Categories section, tap the 'All Vaults' icon in the top left corner of the screen (it looks like a ring of colorful circles), then choose Primary. Even though the item count for Primary on your iPhone might still be different than your other devices, this will help avoid additional confusion from items in the other vaults (which do not sync via iCloud).

Now, since the number of items in the Primary vault seems to be different on each of your 4 devices, please try resetting the 1Password data in your iCloud account by following the steps below. Before doing that, it's a good idea to backup your data as a precaution. On each Mac, open 1Password and go to File > Backup. On each iOS device, you can create a backup file and save it to your Mac by following the steps here: 1Password backups

When you're ready, you can follow these steps:

• On one of your Macs (either one is fine), open the 1Password app and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data.
    • Confirm you want to reset it by clicking "Yes, Remove Remote Data".
    • After a moment you should see a message that confirms the data was reset and sync was disabled (click OK).
    • Go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar, then click the Sync tab.
    • Change the sync setting for your Primary vault from None to iCloud.
    • If a sign-in page opens on Apple.com, sign in using your Apple ID.
    • Click Start Syncing (the initial sync may take a few minutes - make sure you allow it to complete).

The 1Password app on your other Mac and your iOS devices should stop syncing when it realizes the data in iCloud was reset, and will give you an error message about that on each one (which is expected). You can follow these steps to re-enable iCloud sync:

On your other Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences >Sync.
    • Change the sync setting for your Primary vault from None to iCloud.
    • You should see a message saying 1Password found data on iCloud - click Merge with existing.

On each iOS device:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary > Start Syncing > Sync with iCloud.
    • You should see a message saying 1Password found data on iCloud - tap Merge to start syncing.

Please let us know how it all goes. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.