Changes to passwords in Mac App not updating on web account or mobile devices

katycorp
katycorp
Community Member

Hi there,

I originally just used the Mac app to manage my vault. I was syncing using dropbox and it works fine. I recently created an account with 1password so that I could more easily sync my passwords across devices. I imported this vault into my account, made it the default, and the account details are correctly reflected in the settings of my Mac app, but changes to passwords don't make it to the web app or my mobile devices. Do I need to do anything special to enable syncing? In the sync settings on the Mac app, I only see options for None, Dropbox, and iCloud.

Thanks,
Kaitlin

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @katycorp

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with your 1Password account. First of all, could you please check that your items are stored in the vault called "Personal" and not "Primary"? If they happen to be in Primary you'll be able to move them following the instruction here: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/. If they're all in Personal, I'd really appreciate it if you could just a bit of testing for me :chuffed: Can you please create a brand new item in your computer, the web interface and also mobile and see what does sync to what and what doesn't? This will help us pin point where the trouble is :chuffed:

Please let us know what you find out so we can get to the bottom of this!

• katycorp
    katycorp
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

Oh I found the issue. On the Mac app I still have primary selected by default. I need to proactively switch from primary to personal on the mac app. This explains a lot :). Is there an easy way to overwrite the personal vault with my primary vault on the mac app, and then delete the primary one so I can't accidentally revert back again?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @katycorp,

Ah, that definitely explains it! Fortunately that should be easy to solve - you just need to move your items from Primary to Personal, and then you can delete the Primary vault to avoid confusion.

We have steps to move items here: Move items between vaults

Keep in mind that if you have copies of the same items in both Primary and Personal, you'll end up with duplicates when you move them all from one to the other. To avoid that, you can delete items from Personal first (before moving them from Primary to Personal) - but be careful not to delete items from Personal if they have newer information that doesn't exist in Primary.

Once you have all your latest data in your Personal/account vault, you can delete the Primary vault. To do that, just switch to the Primary vault and go to 1Password > Delete Vault... in the menu. After reading the warning that appears, enter the master password for your Primary vault and click Delete Items and Vault.

Please let us know how it goes and if you have any questions about that. Cheers! :)

• katycorp
    katycorp
    Community Member

Finally got around to doing this and it seems to work great. Thanks for the help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, I'm glad to hear that's all sorted out now! Thanks for following up to let us know. Hopefully you're all set, but if you have more questions or need help, we're here for you. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.