iMac tells me this type of file will harm my computer

Paul_D
Paul_D
Community Member

when i download 1password6 my iMac tells me this type of file will harm my computer

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:my mac tells me the 1password 6 download will harm my computer

Comments

• Paul_D
    Paul_D
    Community Member

When I download the 1password 6 from the agilebits site the message in the download box at the bottom of my Google Chrome browser the exact message reads "This type of file can harm your computer. Do you want to keep 1password-6.5.2.pkg anyway?" I am trying to upgrade to 1password6 from my current 4.4.2 and that's when i run into this problem. I am running OSX 10.11.6

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

This is because a .pkg item installs stuff, and you have no control about what it installs.

When you know the program you are installing there's no harm in continuing

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Paul_D,

Thanks for writing in to ask us about that message! If you're not sure about something like that, it's always a good idea to look into it first.

The warning you get when trying to open that file is normal, and is a function of the Gatekeeper feature on your Mac (which warns you when opening apps or installers you downloaded from the internet / from a source outside the Mac App Store). As danco said, you can go ahead and continue running the installer as long as you downloaded it from our website. In case you're curious, you can find a bit more information about this in a recent post from Brenty: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/343876/#Comment_343876

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.