Grabbing 1password data from a backup.

kyleu
kyleu
Community Member

I recently switched computers from one macbook to another and thought I successfully synced data before hand but my new computer is missing about 3 months of 1password data from my old computer. I've since wiped the old machine clean, however, I did make a backup of my older computer (my most recent backup is 1 week old).

Am I able to access my 1password data by browsing my computer backup files?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kyleu
    kyleu
    Community Member

A little more info: I purchased the app directly from Agilebits and ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ does not exist in my backup.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kyleu,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble migrating your 1Password data to your new Mac! We'll do our best to help you with that.

I purchased the app directly from Agilebits and ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ does not exist in my backup.

Do you mean you can't find the Library folder in your Mac username folder on that backup? Or do you mean there's no 1Password 4 folder inside Application Support? Please note the ~ indicates your Mac user folder, which is located here: Macintosh HD/Users/[your Mac user folder]/ (Make sure you're looking there for the Library folder, and not in the main level of your hard drive.)

If you don't see a Library folder in your Mac user folder on the backup of your old Mac, that's likely because it's hidden by default. In that case, let us know what sort of backup you have (Time Machine, some other backup app/service, external drive, etc) and we can help you find it.

...thought I successfully synced data before hand but my new computer is missing about 3 months of 1password data from my old computer.

How had you been syncing your 1Password data? If you had been using a 1Password.com account, all the data in your account vault(s) should have automatically been syncing with our servers, and should all have downloaded to your new Mac when you signed into your account in the 1Password app. Or if you had been using local vaults, were you syncing via Dropbox or iCloud?

Do you use 1Password on any other devices? And if so, do those devices have all your latest 1Password data?

Also, did you have multiple vaults in 1Password on your old Mac? Or just a single vault?

Thanks in advance! :)

• kyleu
    kyleu
    Community Member

Hi Drew, thanks for the response, lemme try to unpack your questions:

Do you mean you can't find the Library folder in your Mac username folder on that backup? Or do you mean there's no 1Password 4 folder inside Application Support?

I'm able to find the Library folder in my Mac username fodler on my backup, there's just no 1Password 4 folder inside Application Support.

let us know what sort of backup you have (Time Machine, some other backup app/service, external drive, etc) and we can help you find it.

This is a Time Machine backup.

How had you been syncing your 1Password data?

I synced from my iOS app, which apparently was out of date with my desktop app. I have not been using a 1password.com account (it's my understanding that that requires a subscription to use? I've opted to keep using the version I paid for)

Or if you had been using local vaults, were you syncing via Dropbox or iCloud?

You know, I thought I was syncing via Dropbox, but the most recently modified file within the 1password.agilekeychain contents is march of 2015. I'm hoping I can grab my locally stored password items from the backup?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @kyleu!

I'm able to find the Library folder in my Mac username fodler on my backup, there's just no 1Password 4 folder inside Application Support.

Hmm, that folder should definitely be there as long as you were using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password (and as long as you hadn't excluded it from the Time Machine backup). Is it possible you had been using the Mac App Store version of 1Password on your old Mac? If so, that would have been storing your data & backups in a different location. In that case, you should be able to find your 1Password backups in Time Machine here:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

If you don't have either of the 1Password data folders in Time Machine, I'm afraid I don't know why, as they should be backed up to Time Machine by default. You can try going back to an earlier date in Time Machine to see if the 1Password data folder is there - perhaps it's only missing from the latest backup(s)?

Without a 1Password backup file from your old Mac, it sounds like your most recent 1Password data is what you have on your iOS device and in Dropbox. You said that's a few months out of date, though. Just to make sure I understand, when you set up 1Password on the new Mac, did you choose your sync file from Dropbox? And if so, is that the same data that you have in 1Password on iOS? It sounds like 1Password hadn't been syncing with Dropbox on your old Mac for some reason - is it possible you had switched it to sync with iCloud instead?

• kyleu
    kyleu
    Community Member

Hi Drew,

I checked for ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/ just in case and there's no such file/folder. I did find ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits but that just contains a License folder.

I did check older backups and did find backup files from March, but not in my most recent couple backups. I also checked and it did find existing data but didn't seem to find the months of data that I'm missing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kyleu: Have you tried mounting it directly? You may need to contact Apple for assistance. If your backup does not contain your 1Password support files, that's going to pose a bit of a problem. Either the backup is damaged or some files and folders were excluded in the first place. The only way to restore your data is if you have a copy of it somewhere, either on another device, a backup, or sync'd elsewhere. Otherwise the data from March will be your only option. Something you have is better than something you don't at least. The only locations 1Password versions 4-6 store data are ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ or ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/. Just note that in the latter case, these are links for the sandboxed data, so you may need to navigate there manually. And the ~ represents the user account folder, since we have no way of knowing what that would be in your case. Let me know what you find!

This discussion has been closed.