Master Password not working in all places! Help!

ALemaniak
ALemaniak
Community Member

My master password is working on my Mac laptop, but not for me to log into the website for my 1password account or on my phone! And when I did login, all my 430 passwords were in the trash! I was able to recover them and did a backup, but suddenly my accounts are acting all wonky despite using this for years! Can anyone help?!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ox4dboy
    ox4dboy
    Community Member

@ALemaniak see if this thread helps:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/73131/mac-book-only-sees-personal-vault-what-is-the-online-account-and-what-exactly-did-i-buy

1Password's Account is not the same thing as having 1Password installed on your Mac. The Account and your old License/Installation can have two different credentials.

• ALemaniak
    ALemaniak
    Community Member

Right. But why all of a sudden would my master password stop working on my phone and online but still work on my Mac app?

• ALemaniak
    ALemaniak
    Community Member

Also it's saying I already have a 1Password account but I cannot get into it because he master password isn't working. I've only ever had one master password!

• ox4dboy
    ox4dboy
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

Because it is not obvious that what is on your phone and Mac are not the same thing. Make sure that your Phone and Mac are both set up to sync via Dropbox or both set up to sync via an 'Account."

A 1Password account is not the same thing as having 1Password installed on your Mac. I just got done solving the same frustrating problem.

Read the thread I mentioned, should help you.

• ALemaniak
    ALemaniak
    Community Member

Mine were all syncing across multiple computers and my iPhone just fine until today :-( I have a 1Password.com account, but can't log into it because it keeps saying I have the wrong Master password. So I'm kind of just stuck in limbo...

Trying the Dropbox sync now to see if that works and I see they released a new iPhone App version today too. Hopefully I can get somewhere with that!

• ALemaniak
    ALemaniak
    Community Member

Ok, was able to sync through my iCloud backups on the new app, not sure why it wouldn't do that earlier today! I think their update fixed it...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ALemaniak,

I'm sorry you've been having such trouble with 1Password! I suspect ox4dboy is correct, and that the problem is related to some confusion about your 1Password.com account and any local/standalone vaults you were using before signing up for that account. I'll be happy to help clear this up and explain what I think may have happened.

If you had been using 1Password on your Mac before signing up for a 1Password.com account, you would have been using a local vault named "Primary". The Primary vault is not part of your 1Password account - it's a separate vault that only exists locally on a device unless you sync it elsewhere by using a sync option such as iCloud or Dropbox. The master password for your Primary vault is not necessarily the same as the master password you chose for your 1Password.com account. If you have a Primary vault set up in the 1Password app, you'll need to enter the Primary vault's master password to unlock it.

When you signed up for a 1Password.com account, you may have chosen a different master password than the one you used for your Primary vault. You would have needed to know that master password when adding that account to the 1Password app, but if you still had your Primary vault, you would still need to unlock the app with your Primary vault's master password. But 1Password might have been set up differently on your Mac than on your iPhone. For example, if your Mac has both a Primary vault and a 1Password.com account vault, but your iPhone only has a 1Password.com account vault, they might each require a different master password to unlock the app.

You mentioned that when you unlocked 1Password on your Mac, all your items were in the Trash. That's probably because you had moved them from the Primary vault to your 'Personal' account vault. When items are "moved" from one vault to another, what actually happens is that new copies of the items are created in the new vault, and the original items are moved to the Trash in the old vault.

Now, I'm not sure of all the exact steps you've taken in 1Password on your Mac and on your iPhone, but perhaps the things I described above help to explain the confusion & problems you experienced? In your most recent post, it sounds like maybe you've solved the problems, but please let us know if you have more questions or need more help with that. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.