Opera extension Install hangs in, "Opera extension is downloading"

arthureisenhour
arthureisenhour
Community Member

I would like to use Opera as a browser for logins. Attempts to install the 1Password Opera extension hang in downloading from the Main and the Alternate sites. The hang occurs in Safari and in Opera and never times out, even overnight. Many attempts have been made and none have succeeded. The environment is:
OS-X: 10.11.6, soon to go to 10.12.2
1Password: 6.5.2, purchased on the Apple Store
Opera: 41.0, soon to go to 42
Network: Verizon FIOS through an ethernet connection into a Verizon Quantum (G1100) Gateway
Computer: Macbook Pro Retina mid-2014 with 16GB main memory and 512GB aux storage, and not much running. There are no firewalls or anti-virus software running that are not provided in OS-X.
I am not aware of any network Synchronization being involved such as iCloud. The download attempts are from,
https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions/opera?beta=false
There was no problem with the Safari extension Install.

Thank you for your help and best wishes for the Holidays,
Arthur

p.s. the 1Password extension works as expected in Safari.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:opera

Comments

• arthureisenhour
    arthureisenhour
    Community Member

I would like to use Opera as a browser for logins. Attempts to install the 1Password Opera extension hang in downloading from the Main and the Alternate sites. The hang occurs in Safari and in Opera and never times out, even overnight. Many attempts have been made and none have succeeded. The environment is:
    OS-X: 10.11.6, soon to go to 10.12.2
    1Password: 6.5.2, purchased on the Apple Store
    Opera: 41.0, soon to go to 42
    Network: Verizon FIOS through an ethernet connection into a Verizon Quantum (G1100) Gateway
    Computer: Macbook Pro Retina mid-2014 with 16GB main memory and 512GB aux storage, and not much running. There are no firewalls or anti-virus software running that are not provided in OS-X.
    I am not aware of any network Synchronization being involved such as iCloud. The download attempts are from,
    https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions/opera?beta=false
    There was no problem with the Safari extension Install.

Thank you for your help and best wishes for the Holidays,

• Hi @arthureisenhour! Have you tried rebooting your computer? It's a simple step, but a necessary one on the road of troubleshooting. If that doesn't work, what hangs? The browser, 1Password, or something else?

• arthureisenhour
    arthureisenhour
    Community Member

Hi Jacob, my computer has been rebooted several times while attempting to download the Opera extension to 1Password. The hang occurs whether using Safari or Opera and it never times out, even overnight. I don't know how 1Password is involved in the download itself. 1Password has been open and and it has been closed when the download is requested. There was no such problem months ago when installing the Safari extension. It is specific to the download for the Opera extension. I now see that the following file was added in the download directory after downloading using Safari, 1Password-4.6.2.90.crx dated November 11, 2016. .crx is a Google Chrome extension!!? but I can assure you that the Opera extension is what was requested. I opened the 1Password-4.6.2.90.crx file in Opera and the 1Password "circle i" appears on the Opera toolbar but clicking on the circle-i and selecting a login entry launches Safari to the webpage login. Clicking on the circle-i Add Opera Extension takes Opera to the Opera Extension download page and clicking on Install gets "Opera extension is downloading"!!? The alert does not appear and there is no "Go" button or any sign of 1Password in Opera, Get Extensions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@arthureisenhour: Sorry for the confusion! Opera is based on Chrome, and uses Chrome extensions. Frankly, it sounds like Opera itself is damaged. Have you tried reinstalling it? I'm not able to reproduce this and have never heard of anything like it before. Let me know what you find!

• arthureisenhour
    arthureisenhour
    Community Member

Hi, still no joy in obtaining a 1Password extension for Opera. There have been many re-boots.
    The Mac has been updated to Sierra 10.12.4. About Opera shows:
    Version: 44.0.2510.857 - Opera is up to date
    Update stream: Stable
    System: Mac OS X 10.12.4 64-bit.

About 1Password:
    Version 6.6.4 (664002)
    Mac App Store.

Maybe a firewall issue?? But no issues have been experienced with 1Password or the Safari extension. It isn't a big deal since Opera is only used as an alternate when I need 2 separate sessions to the same internet host. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
    Is it possible to send me a copy of the extension? Give me a way to email your staff and I'll send my email address.
    . I get too much spam without posting my email address in a forum.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@arthureisenhour: Indeed, definitely don't post your email address publicly. You can always email us at support@agilebits.com — just be sure to post the Support ID you receive here so we can find it right away.

That said, I'm not sure what we can do to help you download and install the extension in your browser. Since it works for others, it seems to be something specific to your setup, and we simply don't have any control over that. Also, in this case, the Chrome extension isn't actually even hosted by us; it's in Google's Chrome Web Store, which is a requirement and security measure that Google has in place to protect users from unknown/untrusted extensions. Hence, we can't simple "send" it to you; it needs to be installed from Google. Opera is using all of this same technology, so it works the same way there. Are you blocking Google, or using "security" software or other extensions that may be interfering with your ability to install it?

I'm not sure I understand the rest though. Originally I thought you were saying that you were having this problem with Safari as well. Is that working for you now?

• arthureisenhour
    arthureisenhour
    Community Member

Thank you Brenty. I think you have given the answer. Chrome is not on my systems - think of Charrington from 1984. And Google is a harnessed sled dog. Google's efforts to push Chrome can be bypassed by using the url, https://www.google.com/webhp?gws_rd=ssl

The 1Password extension for Safari works on my system. The issues that I have encountered have been due to specific web sites and applications.

Thanks and best wishes, Arthur

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.