Will resetting data erase vault files?

kylefox
kylefox
Community Member

I recently migrated all my items from a vault file (~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain) to a Family Account.

Now I have duplicates of everything. I would like to REMOVE my vault file (1Password.agilekeychain) from 1Password but I do not want it permanently deleted from my hard drive or Dropbox.

I have read How to erase your 1Password data and start over but it does not explicitly state whether or not "Reset All 1Password Data" deletes my vault files from disk or if it simply removes them from the app. My guess is that it will leave the vault files untouched on disk, and simply removes the vaults from the 1Password app.

If I choose "Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data" will my ~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain be deleted?

Comments

• @kylefox,

You'd be much better off just turning off "allow vaults outside of 1Password.com accounts" under the Advanced tab than using the "Reset All 1Password Data" option. The reason this is a better approach is that it won't sign you out of your 1Password.com account, but rather promote it to be the password you use to unlock 1Password. The "Reset 1Password Data" option doesn't remove any agilekeychains from disk, those are simply an interchange storage to get 1Password data into another copy of 1Password.

I do notice that you have a second local vault listed in your above screenshot as Command 2. That too would disappear from 1Password using either of the two methods described ("allow vaults outside of 1Password.com accounts", and "reset all 1Password data".

If you're meaning to keep local vaults around then I would suggest that instead you uncheck the Primary vault on the All Vaults tab in the Preferences window, and set the Vault for Saving to be your Personal vault. This will ensure that any newly created items end up in your 1Password.com Personal vault and that anything in your Primary vault won't end up in any Search results when you're in the All Vaults view.

Rudy

• kylefox
    kylefox
    Community Member

Thanks @rudy.

> I do notice that you have a second local vault listed in your above screenshot as Command 2

That's right, meaning your suggestion to "allow vaults outside of 1Password.com accounts" will not work, unfortunately.

> I would suggest that instead you uncheck the Primary vault on the All Vaults tab in the Preferences window, and set the Vault for Saving to be your Personal vault. This will ensure that any newly created items end up in your 1Password.com Personal vault and that anything in your Primary vault won't end up in any Search results when you're in the All Vaults view.

I had already done both before posting my message. New items are correctly saved in my Personal vault, but unfortunately I was still search search results from my Primary vault. I assumed I had some something incorrectly, but it appears that might be a bug.

I can add a vault to 1Password just by double-clicking the vault file. There's really no way to remove vaults just as easily?

This is why I asked my original question, which I would still like an answer to if possible, please :) Because I apparently can't remove a vault once it's been added, I just want to start "empty" so I can add only the Family Account and vault I need.

Thanks again for the reply!

• kylefox
    kylefox
    Community Member

Just an update - it appears my Primary vault items are no longer appearing in search results. I think restarting 1Password fixed that.

However, now I notice that I have many duplicate items in my Personal account (sometimes as many as 3!). Perhaps something happened when I chose to migrate my Primary vault to my Personal account. Anyway, I'll go through and manually clean that up, and hopefully get things to a more manageable state.

But again, I would appreciate an answer to my original question, if possible :)

• @kylefox,

In the case of secondary local vaults, you can switch to them in the vault picker and then under the 1Password menu there should be a "Delete Vault" menu item.

The Primary vault, however, is a special local vault in so far as it also holds the keys to unlocking any additional vaults and access any accounts you might have configured on the Accounts tab. There currently isn't a way to delete the Primary vault while keeping other non-account vaults intact, nor a way to promote another local vault to be that primary role.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.