Which Cloud !

cammot
cammot
Community Member

I am currently using the earlier standalone version of 1Password. This was purchased through the Apple App Store and I was able to also install the app on, my desktop (iMac), Laptop (MacBook Pro), iPad and iPhone. All of these devises sync nicely with the Apple iCloud, and I am able to achive the primary and intended function of 1Password.

All the above said, I am now considering the 1Password Account type subscription to access and include additional features. However, in reading the descriptions of an 'account' type subscription, it states that one of the main features is that all our data would be stored on a 'Cloud'. What is not clear to me, is if the 'account' type subscription stores our data on a different cloud, other than Apples iCloud, i.e. perhaps maybe on a 'Agile Bits' Cloud, that is not affiliated with the Apple iCloud.

Could someone please clarify for me, if indeed there is a different 'Cloud' that is not connected with the Apple iCloud. The basis for this question, is how secure is our important data stored on a non Apple iCloud. Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

Hi @cammot

Thank you very much for your question and for taking the time to learn more about the security of our 1Password accounts :chuffed: With 1Password accounts your data is in fact stored on our servers. It is stored encrypted and only ever decrypted directly on your devices. Neither your Master Password or your Account Key are ever sent over the internet. The Account Key is a 128 bit string of random characters that is combined with your Master Password to encrypt your data. In other words, your 1Password data is more than secure than ever :chuffed: You can take a look at how we protect your data here: https://1password.com/security/ And of course if you have any questions or you'd like me to get into more details about our security model in 1Password accounts just let me know and I'll be glad to dive into it!

• cammot
    cammot
    Community Member

Thanks. Appreciate the clarification. We shall consider this additional cloud storage option !.

We already have and paying for monthly cloud services on Apple, Microsoft, Google and Amazon, all mainstream cloud providers fighting for market share. We wish (list), 1Password Accounts could/would allow storage on an existing Apple iCloud like the Standalone 1password version offers, at a reduced price/subscription. It would be more attractive, convenient and economical, as each additional monthly cloud charges, all add up !!.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cammot: I think that storing 1Password.com data in another service is a bit redundant (har har), but keep in mind that just because you subscribe to 1Password.com doesn't mean you can't use local vaults and sync the data yourself. But I don't think we'll try to shoehorn 1Password.com's sync and web functionality into another service, since we created it in the first place to have fewer limitations on what we can build. It sounds like what you really want though is to use the standalone apps, and that's something we're happy to offer too. Probably an easier way of getting what you want, which is available today. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.