Frustrated New User! Can't sync.

atnfan
atnfan
Community Member

A very confusing installation process IMHO.

No good explanation on how to sync with my other Apple devices. Just purchased and installed on MacBook Pro 2016 running Sierra OS. Have no idea how to set up on my iPad and iPhone. iCloud is setup on all devices. Do I need to install 1password on all devices? Also in 1Password preferences I have a heading for WLAN Server. I cannot determine have to change this to wireless.

So far I am very disappointed in this product.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: Sierra 10.12.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• vee
    vee
    Community Member

Hey there @atnfan,

Glad to hear you've chosen 1Password! And sorry to hear about the rocky start. First I'd like to give you the links to some comprehensive resources that should help you get started:

User Guide: 1Password for Mac

User Guide: 1Password for iOS

Support article: Sync your 1Password data

And yes, the first thing you'll want to do is install the 1Password app on each device. Then, the way you sync your data will depend on where/how you bought 1Password: do you have a 1Password.com account, or a standalone license? 1Password is so flexible that the options might be a bit overwhelming at first glance, but it shouldn't be too much trouble to get it up and running, if you still haven't yet. The good news is that you should only need to set it up once on each device and then it will continually keep your data in sync across all your devices.

I hope this helps! Let us know what other questions you have along the way.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@atnfan: Indeed, I'm glad you reached out. That's what we're here for. As vee mentioned, there are a number of options when it comes to syncing your data. You may want to consider a 1Password subscription, since it will give you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

But if you're only using Apple devices, iCloud sync will work too; Dropbox is a good option if you need to sync across Windows and Android as well; and either of those options will work for you if you want to purchase separate licenses for the standalone apps instead. Let us know if you have any questions and we'll help you get all setup! :)

• atnfan
    atnfan
    Community Member

Thanks for the follow up. I purchased the app from the App Store for $70. Couldn't get it to work with my other devices (iPhone 6 plus and iPad Air). So a then signed up for the subscription service (did not remove the paid app). Loaded the app on the iPhone). Synced on the iPhone using iCloud. iPhone still does not recognize 1Password when I login to an app and enter the password. At this point I am considering uninstalling everything and taking my loss. App works as advertised on my MacBook Pro but really need to have it carry over to my other devices.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

App works as advertised on my MacBook Pro but really need to have it carry over to my other devices.

@atnfan: Ah, that makes sense if you purchased only the Mac app. A 1Password.com subscription will get you everything though, so it sounds like that's the way to go.

At this point I am considering uninstalling everything and taking my loss.

Definitely don't do that, unless you've got money to burn. Shoot us an email at support@1password.com with a copy of your Mac App Store receipt and we'll see what we can do to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.