1password 6 mac not showing up in applications after install

rrellio
rrellio
Community Member

I had forgotten my master password for version 5, so I downloaded version 6 to start fresh. After downloading and installation version 6.5.2 and installing, 1Password doesn't show up in Applications. OS is Yosemite 10.10.3. Thanks in advance...

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password 6 mac not showing up in applications after install

Comments

• rrellio
    rrellio
    Community Member

Solved. Decided to approach from a different angle, so to speak. Copied 1Password 6.app from other mac to this one; launched it and then Help/Troubleshooting/Reset All 1Password Data. All OK now.

• vee
    vee
    Community Member

Hey @rrellio,

Sorry we didn't get to your request sooner, but thank you for following up with the good news that you found a solution! When you download 1Password for Mac from the website, it automatically goes to your Downloads folder and you have to manually move it to your Applications folder, which might explain why you weren't seeing it in Applications automatically.

Feel free to post back if there's anything else you need help with as you get up and running!

• rrellio
    rrellio
    Community Member

Thanks, but the download was a .pkg. If a .pkg is dragged to the Applications folder, it just sits there. Double-clicking on the .pkg brings up the installation wizard. For whatever reason (perhaps a file left on my hard drive from the prior installation), the wizard was not able to save the .app to Applications folder. In any event, it now works; all is good. :) Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. That's really weird that the installer failed at first, but I'm glad to hear that all is well now. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of assistance. Have a great weekend! :)

• billthecat
    billthecat
    Community Member

Hello. I'm having the same problem that rrelio saw - after installing 1password 6, I don't see it in the applications folder. I don't have another mac to copy the 1password.app file from so I'm stuck. I've tried removing the old version (1password 5), and trying to install several different versions of 6 (6.6.4, 6.6.3, and 6.5.3). In each case, the install wizard finishes, apparently successfully but there's nothing in the Applications folder. For good measure, I copied the .pkg file to the Applications folder and ran it from there. Same result.

My OS version is 10.11.6. Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@billthecat: It's probably just a permissions issue, and you can try using the 1Password troubleshooting tool to reset them (on the Permissions tab) or boot into macOS recovery mode and do this for the whole drive in Disk Utility. It's definitely worth sorting out what's going wrong on your system. But you can always download 1Password as .zip file instead simply by changing the extension in the download link. Cheers! :)

• billthecat
    billthecat
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty. Resetting the permissions may or may not have solved the problem. By that I mean I tried it and ran the install package again. As before, I saw only the old version, 1password 5 (I had restored it from the trash). On a hunch, I double clicked the "1password 5" icon. Lo and behold, it was actually v6.6.4! For some reason, the icon wasn't replaced but the new version did install. I'm not sure if that was the problem the entire time or if resetting the permissions fixed it but I have the new version and am happy about that. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@billthecat: Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Yeah, I don't think permissions had anything to do with it then. :lol:

Okay, that makes sense. It wasn't clear to me from your earlier posts that you still had "1Password 5.app" hanging around. I thought you said you deleted it.

Indeed, if second copy of the app is present, it will simply update that one in place. It's just confusing when it's a years-old version with a different filename. Sorry about that! Be sure to let us know if you need anything else. :)

• billthecat
    billthecat
    Community Member

Sorry for the confusion. I deleted (what I thought was) the old app but it was sitting in the trash. I restored it when it didn't look like the v6 install was working. That's when I saw it was the new version linked to the old icon. It's all good now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No worries! Just glad to hear it's working for you now. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.