Which backup to use: agilekeychain_zip or 1p4_zip?

momoza
momoza
Community Member

I'm running 1PW6 on a Mac. In my Application Support folder, I have a 1Password\Backups folder with agilekeychain_zip files. I also have a 1Password 4\Backups folder with 1p4_zip. Both folders have files created this month.

Which one would I use to restore my vault? And should both of these files be getting created?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.2.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    edited December 2016

Hi @momoza! It sounds like there are two things happening here. The easiest way to restore a backup is from 1Password for Mac itself. You can do this by clicking File > Restore, selecting a backup from the list, and restoring it. If you are restoring the backup on a new computer which hasn't been used with 1Password yet, use the latest 1p4_zip file. You can also move your data an easier way with Dropbox, iCloud, or a USB drive. Hope that helps!

• momoza
    momoza
    Community Member

Thanks. That helps. Mainly, I'm just trying to understand how the backups work in the case that I had my computer stolen or something. Knowing that the 1p4_zip file is the one to use is helpful.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @momoza,

Ah, I see what you mean - sorry if we misunderstood your question!

Here's the difference between the two different folders you mentioned in your first post:

• ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ - This is the folder used by 1Password 3, which is a much older version now. The Backups folder there only contains backup files for 1Password 3 (which are the .agilekeychain_zip files). I'm surprised new ones are being saved there, but it's nothing to worry about. You don't need that folder if you're using 1Password 6.

• ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ - This is the folder used by 1Password 4, 5, and 6, so the Backups folder in there is the one that contains backups for your latest data (i.e. the .1p4_zip files).

Hopefully that answers your questions, but if you have more, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• momoza
    momoza
    Community Member

Got it. Thank you!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @momoza

On behalf of Drew and Jacob, you're very welcome! If you ever need us again, we're always here for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.