Error in copying icloud passwords to local keychain

jrlowell
jrlowell
Community Member

Followed instructions in "convert-to-1p4.pdf" to copy icloud passwords to local keychainusing applescript i get an error when Pasting into "local-icloud":

"System Events got an error: Can’t get window 1 of process "SecurityAgent". Invalid index."

if I try to copy an item manually I get "unable to access item" or somesuch.

Running MAC OSX 10.12.3 (Beta)

HELP!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:keychain

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jrlowell: It sounds like you may be using @MrC 's converter to try to migrate your Keychain data. Is that correct? Is that the exact error you're getting? It looks like you may be failing to authenticate to access the Keychain.

• jrlowell
    jrlowell
    Community Member

Thanks @Brenty. Yes ... MrC. More info: The error message shows up ONLY when trying to paste ".accountsync" keys of kind "Application Password": "An error has occurred. Unable to add an item to the current keychain. .. The contents of this item cannot be retrieved."

All other keys of any Kind can be copied/pasted without error. So I am ignoring those .accountsync entries in order to proceed. [Only other problem was that my icloud keychain had TWO entries for "PPRiskComponent" for some reason, and the paste failed for the second: "duplicate item"]

Any ideas on what the .accountsync items are?

Searching the forum, I see a post from December 2015 by Ben Waldman indicating this issue with .accountsync. MrC's response was:

"Hi @BenWaldman,

Thanks for the follow-up. I wish I knew how to create the out-of-sync Keychain condition, so that I could document how to recover from that scenario. Alas, I suppose users will be left to resolve the situation themselves until then.

Good to hear that you are now converted and imported into 1Password. Enjoy!"

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2016

@jrlowell ,

The error:

"System Events got an error: Can’t get window 1 of process "SecurityAgent". Invalid index."

can happen with the AppleScript at the end of the list of items, since there is what's called a "race" condition in the script. The script looks for the existence of the security process, and when it exists, it will attempt to press OK in the dialog that pops-up. However, the security process may be done with its work, but still not terminated as a process, so the script tries once more to press OK, but there is no such dialog. Someday I may spend some time writing a better script, but it hasn't been worth my time thus far.

The error about "unable to access item" is likely due to a corrupted iCloud Keychain, which never synced properly between iCloud and your device. A few users have encountered it, and I was able to reproduce it once. The only solution that I know about is to delete the iCloud keychain and resync with iCloud.

I don't know what the PPRiskComponent items are - there are so many possible Keychain entries, and no obvious clearinghouse enumerating of its usage, so we're left to guessing and our own detective work to figure out the meaning of the Keychain entries.

• jrlowell
    jrlowell
    Community Member

@MrC ,

Thanks much. How does one delete the icloud keychain and resync? [Google was no help here]

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2016

@jrlowell ,

You're very welcome!

Here's a post I made about deleting the iCloud keychain so that you can re-sync.

• jrlowell
    jrlowell
    Community Member

@Mrc All converted keychain items are imported as Login category items ... including "airport" router entries. Is there a way to specify which 1P category an item should have when imported? Thanks

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@jrlowell ,

The keychain converter only supports Login and Secure Notes entries, since there isn't clear and obvious category differentiation in Keychain. There are some labels (e.g. AirPort base station password, AirPort Disk password, etc.) but these can be changed by a user, and I don't have a large enough sampling of them to have a good idea for how pervasive or consistent these are or have been over time.

Also, there are several passwords for an Airport - disk, network, and encryption - each separate entries in the Keychain. I don't know if there is an association between these such that they could be combined into a single 1Password entry.

This discussion has been closed.