See items in 'Resume Editing' state

ntahall
ntahall
Community Member

It is a nuisance to have items in this state accidentally and not be able to find them, except when updated unsaved data is missing when on the move.
Please at least provide a filter to display items in this state.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:See items in 'Resume Editing' state

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ntahall: Thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry that you have so many unsaved changes that this has become a nuisance for you...but I'm glad that 1Password is saving your pending changes for you at least even when you forget to, rather than throwing them out! Perhaps we can make these more discoverable in a future version. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

ref: OPM-1661

• Fearmore
    Fearmore
    Community Member

A FUTURE VERSION? Actually, this problem was pointed out in Oct 2014, and continues to be an issue. (Search for "Resume Editing" or look at
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/50337/resume-editing-system-should-be-replaced-with-automatic-versioning

This is a VERY SIGNIFICANT problem, because, as the poster says, "you change things, and yet they don't really change until you do the magic Resume Editing and Save dance".

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten interrupted changing an item, then mistakenly closed it, and could never find the information in a Search again.

We desperately need a way to at least FIND items that haven't been saved. Isn't over two years for a "future version" a little embarrassing for a key function?

Don't get me wrong, 1Password is a great app. But this is driving some users crazy here.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Fearmore,

Thank you very much for your feedback and candid opinion about this! The lack of a way to easily find items in the "Resume Editing" state is something that affects me too, so this is a feature I'd also really like to be added to 1Password. And obviously you and I aren't alone, since we've also received this request from other customers over the past couple years or so.

But keep in mind that this feature request being over two years old doesn't guarantee it will be added. I know it's really frustrating to want a feature for so long and still not see it added, but we receive a lot of different feature requests from customers every day, and those features are all really important to the people who request them. And even though we truly want to make our customers happy, the reality is that we can't add all of the features they ask for, even if they've been asking for years.

That doesn't mean we'll never add this, but it doesn't necessarily mean we will, either. I'd really like to tell you we'll definitely add it, but I'd be lying if I did because I honestly don't know. Similarly, I'd be lying if I said we'll never add it. And even if I knew we had definite plans to add it, I wouldn't know when or in what version. We have an open ticket for this in our internal tracker, and I'll gladly add your comments to it to let our developers know this is important to you.

I'm sorry this isn't what you want to hear from us, and I don't expect that what I've just written will make you feel better about it. But please know that we truly appreciate your feedback! Although it doesn't guarantee that feature will be added, it certainly helps. If you need anything else, please let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

ref: OPM-1661

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

I think its time to get rid of the silly Resume Editing, "in limbo" state that 1Password has created. Its an awful user experience, and I have to agree with the other posters.

It's probably best to have changes saved when you leave a record to eliminate this ambiguity; provide a Cancel button, and perhaps even a Restore Previous State button.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @MrC! The main problem with automatically saving changes when leaving an item in mid-edit is that data can easily be overwritten that way. But of course, we don't want to delete the unsaved changes, either. The idea of the Resume Editing feature is to prevent data loss, and I think it works really well. The problem is just that there's no easy way to find items with unsaved changes. But we definitely agree on this: We should do something to improve the situation! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2017

Isn't that the point of editing - to overwrite, delete, or add new data? You've implemented a poor-man's Undo. That's why I suggested a Restore Previous State button.

I don't agree that it works well. You forget, or don't notice, that you need to hit the Resume Editing button (for various reasons), do a Sync, and walk away with a handheld device expecting the changes to be there, and they are not! This has happened to me.

If there is now way for you to know that items are in this zombie state, then allowing a record to be left in this state is simply wrong.

I can't think of another app that has such a hidden mid-edit state; not even a reminder to Save before you exit. The way it is now, I'd have to go check 500 records to see what might still be in Edit mode. That's awful.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@MrC,

You're right.

What would be cool would be to incorporate the item history functionality that was introduced in 1Password accounts: View and restore previous versions of items in 1Password accounts.

Maybe Command-Z could even be the shortcut for restoring the previous version of a selected item. Just thinking out loud here, but it would have been hard to implement anything like that without the proper item history that was only introduced with 1Password accounts.

• ntahall
    ntahall
    Community Member

What's wrong with the classic "you have unsaved chages: cancel/save" prompt when changing focus or closing?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ntahall: Honestly, while that would work, I think we're to the point where most users don't need/want to be bothered with that. It's an extra step, and modal dialogues are kinda gross. It's 2017, after all! After using Apple's own Notes app for years now without having to explicitly confirm/cancel changes each time, it may be time for 1Password to just automatically and transparently save any changes we make to an item on the fly, and then have some option to revert to a previous version as Khad mentioned, and as I'm used to doing from apps like Simplenote. This isn't set in stone, and won't be a change that happens immediately (especially in the middle of the version 6 development cycle), but it's very much the kind of thing we want to improve in 1Password to make it more intuitive. Thanks for bringing it up!

• ntahall
    ntahall
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Any of the discussed options would be better, whether 1997 or 2017. The current setup doesn't and never has worked for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We hear you. We'll make it better, one way or another. :) :+1:

• ntahall
    ntahall
    Community Member

@brenty much appreciated.

• What's wrong with the classic "you have unsaved chages: cancel/save" prompt when changing focus or closing?

Oh how I wish this was a real option. There are cases where we do bring up a prompt like that. The big case that we have to protect against is 1Password locking (from say mini or autolock) while editing is taking place. You don't want to halt the locking process to wait for the user to make a choice like that (otherwise it's a security problem).

That being said... many changes and improvements have happened under the hood. It used to be that in the locking scenario we wouldn't have been able to implement MrC's simple "just save out the item to the vault" idea in a reliable manner. As of 6.1-ish, that limitation should no longer be true. I think that in the case of 1Password.com vaults, the simple "save mid-edit" is the way to go since you've always got a full history of the item.

We need to do better here.

Rick

• ACDCHNL
    ACDCHNL
    Community Member

When making 1PW record changes I'm often distracted and forget to "Save" the changes I made. Every month I have to scan through all my records just to find one or two unfinished "Resume Editing" records. There is no quick way to find unsaved records. Why not add a "Resume Editing" sort button? The "Date Modified" sort does NOT pickup unsaved records.

• @ACDCHNL,

The good news is that as of 6.8 you won't have to do that anymore. You will be prompted to save the item in any context where you might have otherwise ended up with "resume editing" for that item.

Rudy

• ntahall
    ntahall
    Community Member

@rudy great, thanks!

• @ntahall,

:) :+1:

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.