Touch ID preference missing on MacBook Pro

Scott Whittaker
Scott Whittaker
Community Member

I have a new MacBook Pro with Touch ID, but the preference to enable it for 1Password is missing. I started with the App Store version, then replaced it with the version downloaded directly from the Agile Bits website. I've restarted just in case there was some weirdness going on, but the preference is still missing.

The weird thing is that I'm fairly certain the preference was there and I turned it on when I first set it up on the new MacBook Pro, but I made a mistake with my user account and had to set up a new one. After switching to the new user account I had to redo my app prefs, and since then the pref has been missing.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: OS X 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Scott Whittaker
    Scott Whittaker
    Community Member

Pretty sure the pref used to be at the top of this screen:

• Scott Whittaker
    Scott Whittaker
    Community Member

There is also no fingerprint icon on the log in screen:

• Scott Whittaker
    Scott Whittaker
    Community Member

Proof of latest version and TouchBar enabled Mac:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Scott Whittaker: It appears that macOS is not telling 1Password that Touch ID is available. We're not sure what causes this, but many users have found that removing their fingerprints and re-adding them after restarting resolves this issue system wide. Let me know if that helps!

• Scott Whittaker
    Scott Whittaker
    Community Member

Yep, that did the trick, but I had to restart after removal for it to work. Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, I'm glad to hear it's working correctly for you now! Thanks for following up to let us know.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you need more help with 1Password, just let us know. Cheers! :)

• azzcatdesign
    azzcatdesign
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

I'm having same issue. I removed fingerprints and restarted. Re-added fingerprints. No change:

Footnote: Now it seems to work–after closing and re-opening 1Password again. Weird.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, thanks for letting us know! That makes sense, since 1Password tries to query Touch ID when it's launched. So it seems like a good failsafe is...

1. Quit 1Password
    2. Clear Touch ID in System Preferences
    3. Setup Touch ID
    4. Open 1Password

Cheers! :)

• kevinmil
    kevinmil
    Community Member

I also had that preference disappear, even though it still worked on other programs. When I went to the system preference, there were no named fingers. I added a new one, restarted, and all is well. It looks like there's something that Apple needs to clean up, but in the meantime this worked for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad that helped! I think it's understandable that there are a few rough edges with something so new, but hopefully Apple can continue to make this useful feature even better in subsequent updates. Cheers! :)

• republication
    republication
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue. I migrated from a MacBook Air to the new MacBook Pro and the touch id preference is missing. I tried the workaround but still not working.

• @republication,

Do you happen to be using any VPN clients actively? We've seen a situation where certain VPN routing rulesets (sometimes they get pushed down from the corporate VPN to the clients) are interfering with the loopback IPv6 interface that Apple uses to communicate between the TouchBar/Touch ID and the Mac.

Rudy

• republication
    republication
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

Hi @rudy . Thanks a lot for your reply. No, I'm not using any VPN clients.

Cheers
    Michael

• @republication,

I don't think there's anything we'd be able to learn from a Diagnostics Report, but if you'd like to send one in I can certainly take a look and see if there are any hints.

Just to confirm:

you've removed and re-added your finger prints in System Preferences, restarted, launched 1Password, opened the Prefs window and navigated to the Security tab and the Touch ID settings don't appear for you?

Rudy

• republication
    republication
    Community Member

Thanks @rudy.

Correct, I tried the workaround several times and the touch id settings on the security tab are still missing.

How can I create a diagnostic report? :)

• @republication

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Rudy

• republication
    republication
    Community Member

Thanks again @rudy

Here is the support id: [#JXV-24664-111]

Cheers
    Michael

• @republication,

I've sent a reply back. The steps were failing because the Touch ID support was added in 6.5 and you're still on 6.3.1.

Rudy

• republication
    republication
    Community Member

Thanks @rudy ! But weird that 1Password didnt update to the latest version automatically. However, thanks for solving the "problem". ;-) Cheers!

• @republication,

There were a couple issues stacked up to prevent that from working. We recently had to generate a new Developer ID signing identity and as a result of that our updater that was in the field would no longer successfully apply updates.

Rudy

• sweejin
    sweejin
    Community Member

Hi there,

Not to hijack this thread from OP, but thought I'd share my experience to give feedback and to other users with the same issue.

I purchased a new MacBook Pro 15" 2016 with Touch Bar 2 weeks ago. I used Migration Assistant and transferred data from my MacBook Air without any issues. I set up TouchID and when I launched 1Password, it worked just fine.

This morning, my MacBook Pro crashed and upon restarting, it displayed a long report and included a line I didn't understand, but had words like "BSD..... error...... VPN......". So I assumed it was related to my VPN software, which seemed to be laggy/buggy/disconnecting too frequently the last 24 hours.

Then, I noticed 1Password no longer asked me for TouchID, and that option in Preferences/Security had disappeared.

Upon searching for an answer online, I stumbled across this thread, and followed the exact steps as used/mentioned, and TouchID appeared again! Thanks for those who provided advice before.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Wow! That sounds like a rough morning. :(

I'm glad that you came here and were able to find the solution. Hopefully you won't encounter further issues, but if you do you know where to go! :chuffed:

• troyrowe
    troyrowe
    Community Member

after trying a bunch of different things, i ended up going up to the spotlight search and typed touch id. Touch id prefs open up and is now back in system prefs. It was to easy, but worked. Hope it helps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear it. Cheers! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017

@troyrowe,

I'm happy to hear you were able to find the Touch ID settings in System Preferences. If you need more help or have questions about 1Password, please let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.