How does 1Password autostart on Mac?

peter_1pswd
peter_1pswd
Community Member

I have cleared /Library/LaunchAgents, /Library/LaunchDaemons, ~/Library/LaunchAgents, but 1Password 6 still keeps auto starting.
How does that work? Just curious...

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 5
OS Version: 10.10.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@peter_1pswd: Did you disable 1Password Preferences > General > Always keep 1Password mini running? It may be that it is resurrecting itself. :scream:

• peter_1pswd
    peter_1pswd
    Community Member

I only want to know how it auto starts. What happens if I uncheck "Always keep 1Password mini running"? Where does it register for auto start then?

• @peter_1pswd,

It makes use of an API called ServiceManagement, specifically a function called SMLoginItemSetEnabled() which directly creates a launch job in the process on the system that's responsible for launching pretty much everything on the system. That process is called launchd.

As far as I'm aware the only way to really see the registration of those items is by launching terminal and running this command: launchctl list It should give you 3 columns, PID, Status and Label for each process that is running, and each registered job, the registered jobs that aren't running will have a - for its PID.

This API is the only Apple approved way to have an application launch on login, its quite a disconnect from the Login Items available via the Users&Groups system preference, but they've done that for their own reasons.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.