Confusion about accounts, licenses, and an email about a trial about to expire

casam268
casam268
Community Member
edited December 2016 in Mac

Recently I had an issue with 1Password and I resolved it apparently by activating a Trial, even though I am a fully paid subscriber. I am now getting nag emails advising my trial is about to finish. My Macbook App does not have account information, and when I log onto the website it states my account does not have any linked vaults etc, and I cannot verify my payment history to see where I'm at. I believe I am a One Time User, as I've been running this program for about 3 years, and yet I believe I may be about to fall off the flat earth into the abyss where I will shortly only be able to access my passwords by subscribing.
I have searched for my One Time key but my normally reliable filing system of these seems to have failed me, so I am sort of stuck, and the clock is ticking. Is there any way I can get some One Time Support to re-download the App, and insert my One Time Key so it doesn't lock up on me and deny me?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

Hi @casam268,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with 1Password! We'll be more than happy to help you get this all straightened out. I also wanted to mention that although we now offer 1Password.com subscription accounts as a way to purchase/use 1Password, we still sell and support standalone license for the 1Password app. We aren't forcing anyone to switch from one to the other!

...I've been running this program for about 3 years...

We started offering 1Password.com subscription accounts this year, so if you made a purchase for the 1Password for Mac app 3 years ago, that would have been a standalone license. A license allows you to use the 1Password app on the platform for which you made the purchase (so if you bought a license for 1Password for Mac, you can use it on all your Macs).

A standalone license does not include a 1Password.com account, but it sounds like you may have also signed up for an account at some point this year:

...by activating a Trial, even though I am a fully paid subscriber.

[...]

...when I log onto the website it states my account does not have any linked vaults etc...

There's no subscription associated with a license, so if you're seeing something about subscribing, that would be referring to a 1Password.com account. Also, a license doesn't include web access to your data, so if you're able to sign into an account on 1Password.com, that means you definitely signed up for an account at some point.

So you might have both a license and an account - they are two separate things, but can be used at the same time in the 1Password app on your Mac. I apologize for any confusion! We're trying to make this all clearer in the future. We explain more about the differences between accounts and licenses here: The difference between a 1Password subscription and a standalone license

I am now getting nag emails advising my trial is about to finish.

If you're receiving emails about a trial for 1Password, that would be for a 1Password.com account. There are many benefits to using an account, but if you signed up for one and don't want to continue using it, you don't need to worry about those emails and can simply let the account trial expire. As long as you previously activated the 1Password app with your license, that app will remain activated/registered on your Mac even if your 1Password.com account trial expires.

To check if you've applied your license file to 1Password, open the main 1Password app on your Mac and go to 1Password > License from the menubar. What do you see in the window that opens?

My Macbook App does not have account information...

To avoid confusion, please double-check that by opening the main 1Password app and going to 1Password > Preferences > Accounts. Do you have any accounts listed there? If not, that means you never signed into your 1Password.com account in the app (which is perfectly fine if you don't want to use an account).

...I cannot verify my payment history to see where I'm at.

I assume you're referring to your purchase of a license? I tried searching our license system for the email address from your forum account but couldn't find any licenses for you. If you purchased a license from the AgileBits Store with a different email address, you can have your license resent to you from the "I've lost my license" section at the bottom of our support site. Or if you purchased 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store, we won't have that information in our own system, but you can see your purchased apps by opening the Mac App Store and going to the Purchased tab.

I believe I am a One Time User...

[...]

I have searched for my One Time key...

[...]

...and insert my One Time Key...

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're referring to, as those terms aren't used in 1Password. Can you please elaborate on that? Are you being asked to enter certain information somewhere in the 1Password app? If so, please let us know what steps you took and exactly what you're seeing. It might help if you can take a screenshot of that and include it in your reply (just make sure the screenshot doesn't show any personal/private information). To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.