How do I reinstall 1Password on my computer without losing all of the data (passwords)?

cybeartist
cybeartist
Community Member

How do I reinstall 1Password on my computer without losing all of the data (passwords)? I'm tiring of getting the 'please find this file' and 1Password Mini not connecting and needing to look up passwords because the app won't do it automatically? FRUSTRATING!

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:reinstall

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cybeartist,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with 1Password on your Mac! We can definitely help you figure this out.

How do I reinstall 1Password on my computer without losing all of the data (passwords)?

If you're asking how to delete the 1Password app and reinstall it, simply go to Applications and drag the 1Password app file to the Trash (but make sure you do not use any app cleaning tool).

Your data isn't stored in the 1Password app file - the data and the app are in two separate locations on your Mac. So if you delete the 1Password app file from Applications, you're only deleting the app itself, and all your 1Password data is still on your Mac where it always is. When you download/install a new copy of the app and open it, it will find your data and ask for your master password like usual.

You can certainly try that if you'd like, although I don't know if it will solve the problems you described:

I'm tiring of getting the 'please find this file' and 1Password Mini not connecting...

Is that one problem or two different problems? Are you seeing a couple different error messages? If so, please let us know exactly what those messages say, as well as when each one appears or what steps you're taking / what you're trying to do when it happens.

If possible, it would be great if you could take a screenshot of each error and include them in your reply (just make sure they doesn't show any personal/private information).

...and needing to look up passwords because the app won't do it automatically?

Do you mean you're having trouble using the 1Password browser extension to fill sign-in forms on websites? If so, what steps do you take to have it fill your username/password, and what happens when you do that?

For these issues, if you can describe exactly what you're trying to do, the exact steps you're taking to do it, what you expect to happen, and what happens instead, we should have a much better idea of how to help you get things working again. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.