Can not select vault for export when there is only one vault

andrewhamon
andrewhamon
Community Member
edited December 2016 in Mac

When "All Vaults" is selected, you can not export (it is greyed out). This is fine, except that when you have only one vault, you can't select a vault at all, and export is disabled. Madness!

Figure 1: Only one vault, no way to select a vault, export is disabled

Figure 2: Multiple vaults, UI changes to allow Vault selection

This was pretty confusing and took a long time to figure out.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can not export when only one vault

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @andrewhamon,

I'm sorry you're unable to export a vault when it's the only one in the 1Password app! Thank you for taking the time to report this, and for the screenshots and clear explanation.

As you mentioned, the Export menu option is grayed out in the 'All Vaults' view - that's expected behavior, as exporting multiple vaults at the same time is not currently supported. But if you only have one vault in 1Password, there is no 'All Vaults' view, and since you're viewing an individual vault, the Export menu option should be available. I'm not sure why it wasn't.

Now that you have multiple vaults set up in the app, if you switch to the vault which was previously the only one, is Export available or grayed out? If Export is grayed out for that one specific vault, is it possible it's part of a Teams account and you don't have permission to export it?

• andrewhamon
    andrewhamon
    Community Member

Yes, your description is accurate. And also yes, I can export, but I had to add a dummy second vault so that I could actually select my primary vault. I'm reporting this for the befit of anyone else who has trouble, since the workaround is very non-obvious.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @andrewhamon!

You definitely should have been able to export from your Primary vault, even when it was the only vault that existed on that Mac. When you only have 1 vault in 1Password, that vault is always the one that is selected, and Export should be available in the menu. In other words, the fact that the Export option is grayed out in the All Vaults view is just a coincidence, and doesn't explain why it was grayed out for you. It sounds like something wasn't working correctly if you weren't able to export your Primary vault.

I'm glad it's working for you now, but if for some reason you start having the same problem again, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• andrewhamon
    andrewhamon
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

Hey @Drew_AG,

It seems maybe you understood me.

When I had only 1 vault (and therefore had no option to select a vault) I could not export, it was greyed out. This is the state it was in on a relatively new account that had always had only one vault. I created the account on the web and added it to the Mac app, if that helps.

I can replicate the behavior by adding a new vault, selecting "All Vaults", and then deleting the vault I just added (so that there is only one vault, again). This puts me back in a state where export is greyed out, yet I can't select a vault.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

Thank you @andrewhamon - I was finally able to reproduce this issue! When I went through the initial setup and added an account with one vault, the Export option was available. But once I followed your steps to add a second vault, switch to All Vaults, and then delete the second vault, Export was grayed out in the menu. I'll open a bug report for this to let our developers know.

We really appreciate that you took the time to report this issue and help us reproduce it! Please let us know if you need anything else. Happy holidays! :)

ref: OPM-4681

• djcl
    djcl
    Community Member

Hi @andrewhamon, Thank you so much for posting this! I was going crazy with the seam issue. You saved me time and grief. Hopefully this bug is fixed soon so others do not have this same problem:)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @djcl,

I'm sorry you're also running into this issue! I don't have a timeframe for when this will be fixed, but I'll let our developers know you also reported it. I'm glad andrewhamon's workaround was helpful for you! :)

ref: OPM-4681

This discussion has been closed.