Extension and main app unable to connect to mini on first try

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1password Chrome browser can't find mini when opening for first time.

Comments

• asdervaes
    asdervaes
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. I am running 1password version 6.5.2 on a Macbook Pro running Mac OS Sierra and the Google Chrome browser. I have followed the suggestions in this post several times but to no avail. When my computer boots up to the chrome browser, I get a message to the effect of "cannot connect to 1password mini" and the shortcut symbol does not show up in the menu bar. When I launch 1password, I get the same message on the first attempt and 1password doesn't open. When I launch it a second time, 1password opens and the shortcut symbol appears.

How do I get around this issue so that 1 password mini launches when Chrome browser opens?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @asdervaes,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the 1Password extension and mini! It sounds like this issue is a little different than the one from the previous discussion, so I moved your post to a new thread. I hope you don't mind!

If you're getting a message about not being about to connect to mini when you first try to use the extension or open the main app, and if you don't see the 1Password mini icon in your Mac's menubar, then it sounds like mini is not only not running, but is also failing to launch for some reason. It's very strange that this happens the first time you try to launch the main app, but then it works the second time.

To help us figure this out, can you please let us know some additional details:

• Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • You said you tried the steps from the previous thread, but just to be sure, if you (successfully) open the main 1Password app and go to Preferences > General, is the option for "Always keep 1Password Mini running" enabled?
    • What exact version of Chrome are you using? (Go to Chrome > About Google Chrome in the menubar.)
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in Chrome?
    • Are you using any anti-virus or other security software on your Mac? Or do you have any other extensions in Chrome that might block certain connections?
    • Does this problem only happen the first time after booting/rebooting your Mac?
    • Do you happen to be using a new MacBook Pro with TouchBar?
    • Are you using a VPN client on your Mac? If so, which one?
    • Are you able to open the main 1Password app if you disconnect VPN?

Thanks in advance! :)

• asdervaes
    asdervaes
    Community Member

I am using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password
    The option for "Always keep 1Password Mini running" IS enabled
    I am using Chrome Version 56.0.2924.28
    I am using 1Password extension version 4.6.2.90
    I do not have anti-virus or security software installed
    This problem always happens the first time after booting/rebooting the Mac
    My Macbook is several years old
    I am not using a VPN client

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @asdervaes! It definitely sounds like 1Password mini isn't launching right away when you boot/reboot your Mac, but I'm afraid I don't know why. To help us figure it out, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• asdervaes
    asdervaes
    Community Member

I did the diagnostics report and emailed it to the support+forum@agilebits.com email address you furnished above. I did receive an automated reply, but it said that I had sent the email reply to a robot rather than a human, No Support ID number.

I can resend the report somewhere else, if you can provide me an alternate address. Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @asdervaes,

Thanks for sending your report! Sorry for the confusion about the BitBot reply - it looks like our system sent you the wrong automated message for some reason. We'll take a look into that in case there's a problem with the autoresponder. But don't worry, I was able to find your diagnostics report & email, and I'll add an internal note with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Cheers!

ref: XMU-88125-151

• PEshwar
    PEshwar
    Community Member

I have the same issue. Tried reinstalling browser extensions on both safari and chrome. And also reinstalled app on mac. But get the same error: Couldn't connect to 1Password.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PEshwar,

I'm sorry for the delayed response! If you're still getting that error when trying to use the 1Password extension in your browser(s), can you please try this:

• Open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar.
    • Click the General tab.
    • Make sure the option for "Always keep 1Password Mini running" is enabled.

If that option was disabled, that might explain the problem with the extension. On the other hand, if it was already enabled, please try restarting 1Password mini:

• Open the main 1Password app.
    • Go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini in the menubar.
    • Once it restarts, try using the extension in your browser again.

If restarting mini doesn't help, please reboot your Mac. After it restarts, does the browser extension work, or do you get the same error? If you still get the error, we'll need to know some more details about your setup:

• What version of OS X / macOS are you running on your Mac?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What versions of Safari and Chrome are you using?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in each browser?
    • When you try to use the browser extension, do you see the 1Password mini icon in your Mac's menu bar?
    • Are you using any anti-virus or other security software on your Mac? Or do you have any other extensions in Safari or Chrome that might block certain connections?

Thanks! :)

• PEshwar
    PEshwar
    Community Member

Hi- My responses below:

1, "Always keep 1Password Mini running" is enabled.
    2. Tried this: Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini
    2. I've rebooted Mac and retried
    3. My MacOS is El Capitan 10.11.5
    4. Version of 1Password is 1Password 6 Version 6.5.3 (653000)
    5. I'm using AgileBits store version
    6. Safari 9.1.1 and Chrome Version 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit)
    7. 1Password version 4.6.2 on Safari and 4.6.3.90 on Chrome
    8. Yes, I see the 1Password icon in minibar on both Safari and chrome.
    9. No other antivirus on Mac. I haven't found the need for one with Mac!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @PEshwar! Sorry those suggestions didn't help. If I understand, the same problem is happening in both Safari and Chrome? As long as 1Password mini is running (and you see it in your Mac's menu bar, not just the browser's toolbar), then it sounds like something is blocking the connection between mini and the extension. That can be caused not just by anti-virus software, but other things such as a proxy server or VPN, firewall software, or a conflict with another browser extension. Do you use anything like that on your Mac? If you have other extensions in Safari and Chrome, is there one that is installed in both?

• PEshwar
    PEshwar
    Community Member

I think the problem is solved now, Qustodio seems to be the culprit, have uninstalled it and it seems to work!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Ah, that explains the problem! Thank you for following up here to let us know. We started hearing reports of Qustodio blocking communication between 1Password mini and the extension last May, I believe. The only solution we've found is to uninstall Qustodio, as simply disabling it doesn't seem to help. We reported this to the makers of Qustodio, but I don't know when they'll be releasing a fix. We don't like having to recommend uninstalling it, but unfortunately that currently seems to be the only way to prevent it from blocking 1Password.

I'm very happy to hear 1Password is working for you now! If you have more questions or need anything else, please let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.