Item count different between Mac and iPhone

This discussion was created from comments split from: Item counts in sidebar folders no longer accurate.

Comments

• lylewaters
    lylewaters
    Community Member

I am also experiencing issue with regards to the item counts. I've gone back in and verified one by one that within a specific folder (where I see the discrepancy) all the items are present in both locations (iPhone and on Mac), but the counts show up differently. I can't tell how old/stale this forum is since it lists only the month and day and no year. I am running 1Password 6.5 on my iPhone 7 and 1Password 6.5.2 on my Mac (macOS 10.12.2).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lylewaters,

I'm sorry the item count isn't matching between your iPhone and Mac! The previous thread is just a few months old (if no year is shown, it's from the current year), but the issue you're running into might be slightly different, so I've moved your post to a separate discussion where we can focus on it. I hope you don't mind!

From your description, it sounds like your items are syncing correctly between your Mac and iPhone, and the folder in question contains all the items that are supposed to be there, but the item count number shown next to that folder is wrong on either your Mac or your iPhone. Is that correct?

If so, this could be a known issue with the item count in the iOS version of 1Password, or it could be a problem with that specific folder that is only affecting the Mac version. Is the item count number for that folder incorrect on your iPhone or on your Mac?

If the item count shows the wrong number on your iPhone: Double-click the Home button on your iPhone and swipe up on 1Password to force-quit, then open it again. Is the item count correct now, or does it still show the wrong number?

If the item count shows the wrong number on your Mac: Open 1Password and create a new folder (File > New Folder). Select the folder with the wrong item count and drag all of the items from there to the new folder you created. Does the new folder show the correct number of items?

Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

ref: OPI-884

• lylewaters
    lylewaters
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. Ok, now the counts are starting to match for nearly everything. I have created a few folders and those counts don't match even though all of the items are there. For example, I have a folder called "Work" and it reports 39 items on the iPhone but only 37 on the Mac. It looks like the iPhone version is also counting 2 subfolders where the Mac version is not. I hope this info helps.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lylewaters,

Only actual items should be included in the item count, and not subfolders. So I'm not sure if the item count for that folder is too high on your iPhone or too low on your Mac. If you don't mind, can you please manually count the number of items in that folder on each one? How many items are actually in that folder?

You also said that folder is just one example. For the other folders where this is a problem, which number (iPhone or Mac) correctly matches the number of items it contains?

• lylewaters
    lylewaters
    Community Member

@Drew_AG,

The item count is correct on the Mac and the iPhone incorrectly counts folders in each of the item totals whenever there are subfolders present. If I have a folder with no subfolders, then the item counts match on the Mac and iPhone. For anything with a subfolder, the item count on the iPhone always includes the total number of folders in the count. I can attach or e-mail screen shots if you'd like. I hope this info helps. Hope you're getting to enjoy some of the holidays!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lylewaters: That is helpful. While I agree that it is confusing, a folder in 1Password is a separate item just like it is on your computer's hard drive. After all, if folders were not counted, then a change you made to one would not sync either. We'll see if we can make this more intuitive in the future though. Personally, that's part of the reason I prefer tags: they're just easier to manage. Happy holiday to you as well! We're here if you need us. :)

• lylewaters
    lylewaters
    Community Member

@brenty,

I have no issue with it counting sub folders in the item count, it should just be consistent between the MAC version and the iOS version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I agree. Thanks for bringing this up. :)

This discussion has been closed.