How do I log in to 1Password on a new computer?

rlf
rlf
Community Member

I just installed 1Password on a new computer. My 1P database is stored in Dropbox. How do I log into 1P on the new computer? The screen is asking me for Account Details and I don't know all the fields. I know my email address and the master password for my 1P database (stored on Dropbox) but I don't know what my Sign-In Address or account keys are. I appear to have two different license keys for 1P stored in 1P but I don't know which is the correct one. This is awfully complicated. Thanks for your help.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:How do I transfer to another computer

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rlf

Congratulations on the new computer! I'm sorry to hear that you've had a bit of trouble setting up 1Password though. You need to press the Option key while you are opening the app and you'll get the screen with the option "find your data elsewhere" instead. You can pick that option and find your data in Dropbox and use 1Password as you always have.

Please let us know if this helps you, and if you're able to set up 1Password on your new computer. :chuffed:

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

Thank Pilar. Cute pic by the way. Now I'm trying to identify what my license key is so that I can have a single license key record in my 1Password database. I'm trying to follow the instructions on the page "If your can't find your Account Key or QR code" but 1password.com doesn't recognize my email address. The only thing 1Password seems to recognize is my login for this support site. How can I get my email address and license key information sorted out? The app has become so complicated. Now there are license keys and account keys and QR codes and you have to know to hit the option key when opening the app to find your database file. 1P used to be so simple to use. Now, not so much. Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rlf,

My avatar isn't as cute as Pilar's, but I wanted to jump in to help clear up the confusion. Hope you don't mind! ;)

The confusion here is about the difference between licenses and accounts, and that's something we're trying to improve. I apologize for the inconvenience! But I can definitely explain what happened:

The screen is asking me for Account Details and I don't know all the fields. I know my email address and the master password for my 1P database (stored on Dropbox) but I don't know what my Sign-In Address or account keys are.

You chose the option to sign into a 1Password.com account, which is a subscription service we started offering earlier this year. If you haven't signed up for an account on 1Password.com, you don't have an account with us and don't have information such as an Account Key or Sign-In Address. Therefore, you would need to choose a different option from the "Welcome" screen. In your case, you would need to choose Used 1Password before > Dropbox (or in version 6.5.2, you would have needed to choose "Find your data" first - we simplified this in a recent update for 6.5.3).

Now I'm trying to identify what my license key is so that I can have a single license key record in my 1Password database. I'm trying to follow the instructions on the page "If your can't find your Account Key or QR code" but 1password.com doesn't recognize my email address.

It sounds like you previously purchased a license for the 1Password for Mac app. That's how we sold 1Password for many years - we still sell licenses for the standalone apps, but now we also offer subscription accounts as another way for customers to purchase/use 1Password. The reason 1Password.com doesn't recognize your email address is because you haven't signed up for an account there - that also means you don't have an Account Key or QR code. We explain more about the difference between a 1Password account and a 1Password license here: The difference between a 1Password subscription and a standalone license

If you have a license for 1Password 4/5/6 for Mac, you should have a license file which needs to be applied to the app in order to register/activate it so it is no longer in trial mode. Please take a look at the steps here for more information: If you purchased 1Password from the AgileBits Store

The only thing 1Password seems to recognize is my login for this support site.

Your login for our support forums is a separate website login which isn't tied to a 1Password license/account.

How can I get my email address and license key information sorted out?

If you purchased a license for 1Password for Mac from the AgileBits Store, you can have your license info resent to you from the "I've lost my license" section at the bottom of our support site.

...and you have to know to hit the option key when opening the app to find your database file.

Actually, I think there was some confusion on our part about that. In version 6.5.2, the setup screen always showed the 'Find your data' option (on the left side, right below the 'Sign in' option that you originally selected). But the right side of that first setup screen would show either “Create Account“ or "Create a new vault", depending on a few things. Holding 'option' when launching the app would force it to change which of those two options was shown.

That's not something you needed to do since you had existing data in Dropbox, but you're absolutely right that it was confusing - even for us! :lol: That's why we simplified it in our latest update, so no one has to worry about that now.

Again, I truly apologize for the confusion! It should still be as easy to use as it was before, now that you have it set up on the new Mac. The setup procedure is the part that is confusing for some customers though - and that's what we're trying to clear up in future releases. I hope this helps, but if you have more questions about that, please let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.