the generated password for my hotmail doesn't work on my mail program on my mac

pimschets
pimschets
Community Member

because i started using 1password i changed my password of my hotmail account. That worked perfectly. Because i changed the password my mail program an my mac keeps asking ng for the new password. The problem is that the password that was generated for my hotmail doesn't work. i tried filing it in automatically by 1password and copying and pasting it from the 1password app to the mail program but nu succes

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pimschets,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry you're having some trouble.

I don't want to make the wrong assumption here, so do you mind explicitly confirming for me that the password does work when you sign in to your Hotmail account in your web browser? And can you let me know the URL you are using? As far as I know, Hotmail doesn't exist anymore — only Microsoft accounts.

• pimschets
    pimschets
    Community Member

Hi Khad

Thanks for helping out!

The situation is exactly like you say, so it does work when I sign in in my hotmail account in my web browser. But the password doesn't work in the "mail" app on my Mac. And I forgot to mention this, but the strange thing is that the password also works perfectly with the "mail" app on my iphone.

You're right that hotmail doesn't exist anymore(didn't use it in my browser for a very long time). When I tried to go to hotmail.com I'm being redirected to the following URL:

https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=13&ct=1482392884&rver=6.4.6456.0&wp=MBI_SSL&wreply=https://outlook.live.com/owa/&lc=1043&id=292841&mkt=nl-nl&cbcxt=out&fl=wld

Let me know if you need more info!

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

@pimschets: If you're able to login to your account successfully using 1Password on the website, then it's clear that the problem isn't with 1Password. After all, you're only having trouble when using the Mail app on your Mac, which won't involve 1Password in any way. I have a couple ideas that might help based on my own experience, but ultimately you may need to seek help from Apple for using the app or from Microsoft for the service itself:

1. Is the website perhaps truncating the password when it's filled? If it's only accepting part of your password, that would explain why pasting the whole thing you've saved into the app doesn't work: the correct password is a subset of that.
    2. Are you simply running into some annoying issue with an account setting which is resulting in an error, and the password is a red herring? I don't know about you, but I prefer using webmail because not all services are great about providing the correct settings, and their naming can vary between mail clients, making matters worse.

So while #1 is fairly common with websites, I think #2 is more likely since you're saying you're able to login to both the website and the iOS app. It seems that it's something specific to the Mac app. Let me know what you find!

• pimschets
    pimschets
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

It took some time but I finally figured it out. It had to do with the account settings on my Mac. I went to the iCenter and they told me to delete my mail account and then add my mail account again. Easier said then done because the next problem occurred, I wasn't able to add this mail account because "this mail account already exists". At the iCenter they couldn't help me with this problem so I kept searching the internet and finally found out that it is a really silly problem. My Mac keeps telling me "this mail account already exists" because i'm using the same mail account for iCloud. So I had to log out from iCloud on my Mac before adding the mail account to the Mail app.

Thanks for your input!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Glad that the problem is already solved, but I have actually been bitten by #1 by Microsoft, a few years ago:

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2012/09/21/this-ridiculous-microsoft-longer-accepts-long-passwords-shortens/

(Perhaps worth sharing for others who get into this problem)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for shouting at everyone with my poorly formatted previous post. Fixed. :blush:

My Mac keeps telling me "this mail account already exists" because i'm using the same mail account for iCloud. So I had to log out from iCloud on my Mac before adding the mail account to the Mail app.

@pimschets: Ohhh. Wow. I never would have thought of that. It's certainly confusing that Apple allows us to use 3rd party email addresses for our iCloud accounts / Apple IDs. I mean, it's nice that they do, but I've run into similar issues myself as a result. :sweat:

Glad that the problem is already solved, but I have actually been bitten by #1 by Microsoft

@XIII: Oh dear. Yeah that's a great link in case others encounter similar problems. Terrifying. I'll have to experiment to see if this still holds true for Microsoft's various login portals. It doesn't come up often, but practices like this (storing the password in plaintext, truncating to shorten long passwords, etc.) are unfortunately still common.

This discussion has been closed.