Multiple Vaults on one computer but not the other...why?

tillkrueger
tillkrueger
Community Member

A few months ago I signed up for a 1Password account subscription. I say this first bc I think my problem may have something to do with that.

ON my iMac I now have two vaults, one the "Primary" vault and the other my "Personal" vault. On my MacBook Pro, on the other hand, I only see the Primary vault. Both computers (and all my iOS devices) sync via Dropbox, where I see one single .agilekeychain file.

By the time I noticed this the damage was done. I first noticed that all entries were double-entries while "All Vaults" was selected at the top if the sidebar of my 1Password app on the iMac, but that I did not have the option of selecting "All Vaults" on my MBP.

When I only select one vault or the other on my iMac, I can see that I have about 20-30 entries that are in one vault but not the other...knowing which exact entries they are eludes me, of course, and I fear that it will be difficult to easily find out and combine the two.

I found one thread here that deals with combining two vaults and it is not without its challenges, to say the least.

But why and how did I end up with two vaults on only one computer when they all sync to the same file on Dropbox...how can I get my iMac to only show the Primary vault?

Maybe I was too hasty to sign up with the subscription...I have never had this issue when using the standalone version and moving to the subscription I ran into so many little issues that I found confusing that I am pretty sure that I made some incorrect choice(s) in the process that caused this situation...but how to recover from it now, before I have 100's of different entries between the two vaults?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tillkrueger

Thank you for taking some time to contact us, I'm sorry for the confusion and trouble with 1Password. It sounds like you got an account, added it on your iMac, migrated your data by copying it instead of moving it but didn't add your account on the Macbook or elsewhere. The reason why Personal vault never appeared on the Macbook is because the account wasn't added there :chuffed:

Now you have a couple of options. First of all, I wonder which of the versions of 1Password you've been actually using these past few months. A few questions will help us sort this out :chuffed:

• Which of the 2 computers do you use more often?
    • Have you noticed some things missing or being outdated when you are on your Macbook?
    • Can you please go to Preferences in 1Password in your iMac then pick the option "All vaults" and check which vault is selected in "Vault for saving"?

This will help us figure out where your most recent data is more likely to reside and what is the best way forward to get you all sorted out :chuffed:

• tillkrueger
    tillkrueger
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

Thanks for your response, Pilar.

Let me try to answer your questions the best I can.

• during the time that I think these issues crept up I was using my iMac more often or mostly.

• I haven't noticed any specific items missing or being outdated, but I have made some changes on my iMac which I don't see reflected on my MBP, which makes sense as the "Personal" vault was set as the default on my iMac and the "Primary" vault being the only one on my MBP.

• on my iMac the Primary vault is now the default, but it was set to Personal before i noticed this issue...on my MBP the only vault is the Primary one and hence the default.

I appreciate you looking into it.

my guess is that I was probably running a combination of standalone and subscription versions for a while without noticing, as I didn't really understand the need to install a whole new version in the first place until a few days into it...I assumed that one version would replace the other, but then saw that I had both a "1Password.app" and a "1Password 6.app" in my Applications folder and eliminated the 1Password.app.

I should have been more careful but may I express some concern over the way this transition is handled from your end? I am an IT person myself and have been doing administration of systems for my own business and those of others for some 25 years. I am not exactly stupid when it comes to upgrading software and hardware systems and yet I found this transition from 1Password standalone to subscription more confusing than I think it should have been...if the standalone version needed to be deleted immediately, I would have expected a pointer to do so, or - better yet - see my "old" 1Password app be replaced by the new one.

but I am a fan of your service and trust that the issues I experienced will be ironed out and a thing of the past soon.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tillkrueger,

I'm sorry this has all been so confusing! We're definitely trying to make the switch from a license to a 1Password.com account easier in the future. But don't worry, it should be fairly easy to get this all straightened out.

First, I think it will help to briefly explain the difference between the Primary and Personal vaults:

The Primary vault is not part of your 1Password.com account. It's the vault you were using before you signed up for an account, and it's a separate vault that is only stored locally on your device unless you sync it elsewhere by using a sync option such as Dropbox or iCloud. Because it isn't part of your 1Password.com account, it isn't hosted on our servers and you won't see it when you sign into your account on 1Password.com.

The Personal vault is part of your 1Password.com account. You'll see it when you sign into 1Password.com from a web browser, and you'll see it in the 1Password app if you've added your account to it. There are no sync settings for vaults that are part of your account because they are hosted on our servers and will automatically be available on any device where you've added your account to 1Password.

Normally, in order to switch to an account, you would add that account to the 1Password app on one device, move all your items from the Primary vault to the Personal vault, and then remove the Primary vault. Then you can add your account to 1Password on your other devices and remove the Primary vault from those as well. In case you're curious, we explain that process here: Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

It sounds like you added your new account to 1Password on your iMac and copied items from Primary to Personal, but you never removed the Primary vault, and you never added your account to 1Password on your other devices. If you've updated or added new items to your Primary vault since then, the first thing you should do is move those updated/new items to your Personal vault. In case it helps, you can sort the list of items by Date Created or Date Modified.

Once you have all your latest data in the Personal vault, you can delete the Primary vault, as you no longer need it. Just switch to the Primary vault in the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Delete Vault... in the menu.

If all goes well, you can add your account to the 1Password app on your other Mac and iOS devices, and then delete the Primary vault from each one. Or you can reset the 1Password app and set it up again by signing in to your account.)

Now, you also mentioned some confusion about 1Password.app and 1Password 6.app, so I wanted to quickly clear that up as well:

• 1Password.app - This is the Mac App Store version of 1Password 6.
    • 1Password 6.app - This is the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 6.

Both of those fully support 1Password accounts, so it doesn't really matter which one you keep and which one you delete. You didn't need to replace one with the other, but it's ok if you did.

I know this is a lot of information, but I hope it helps clear things up a bit. Please let us know how it all goes with moving your data to the Personal vault, deleting the Primary vault, adding your account to 1Password on your other devices, etc. If you run into any trouble, just let us know and we'll be happy to help! :)

• tillkrueger
    tillkrueger
    Community Member

Thanks for that detailed email, Drew! I hope that, moving forward, AgileBits will find a more fool-proof way of guiding your users through this transition.

So, I logged into my account from my MBP and was immediately offered to move all items from my Primary vault to my Personal vault.
    I am hesitant about hitting the "Move Items" button bc I am worried that I'll end up with 765 doubles, or is this script smart enough to recognize equal items? if it isn't, you said that I could sort my items by Date Created/Modified and then - I suppose - I could select all items that were created/modified since I subscriped on Sept.25 and then do what? export them and then import them or is there a way to only move selected items to the Personal vault?

I better stay patient for another day until you clarify this for me as I do not want to end up with a situation that seems to happen with the Apple Contacts and Calendar apps all the time: more double entries than anyone should be expected to sift through by hand ;)

• tillkrueger
    tillkrueger
    Community Member

Ah, when I selected "Move Later" it was explained to me that I could move items by selecting and sharing them to the Personal vault...I sorted by Date, selected all items I have modified/added since Sept.25 and moved them to my Personal vault...I guess I can now delete my Primary vault and be on my way.

Thank you so much and have a peaceful Christmas and New Year's!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, I'm glad you were able to get it all sorted out! Just to answer your question - you don't need to migrate your items from Primary to Personal on your MacBook Pro if you already did that on your iMac. As you suspected, you'd likely end up with duplicates that way. Basically, if you move all your items from Primary to Personal on one device, you don't need to do it on your other devices (just sign into your account in the 1Password app on those other devices, make sure your data is there, and delete the Primary vault).

Hopefully you're all set, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know - we're always happy to help. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year's to you too! :)

• tillkrueger
    tillkrueger
    Community Member

I just spent two hours setting up my subscription account on 2 computers (my iMac and MBP) and 2 devices (my iPhone 7 Plus and my iPad Pro) and while it's all working now I must say that I would not want to have to help my father, for example, through the process (even though I would, of course)...I have 25 years of IT experience and still found myself scratching my head through most of it.

I understand how difficult a transition through a paradigm shift like this must be to plan, but as I said above: as the new year progresses I hope that AgileBits will find better ways to guide the less experienced users through this transition...maybe, as the stand-alone version starts to be phased out (if it ever does) this will become less of an issue, but in the meantime I find the process to be very complicated and full of pitfalls...the mere fact that I had to log out of and back into the account on all devices (which isn't a trivial process when considering all the info that needs to be entered if one doesn't feel comfortable scanning a QR code) before it recognized that I was already subscribed seems somewhat unnecessary to me in an age where real-time sync is commonplace...the app should recognize within seconds that I hold a subscription, don't you think?

But I would do you injustice if I didn't also mention what a big fan I am of your app and service and how glad I am to now be on board what will hopefully become a life-long relationship with your way of providing a safe and ubiquitous environment to keep track of all of my sensitive information. Your support is responsive and knowledgable, your online community is active and rich with information and people willing to help and your application is second to none. Thanks for doing what you do and have a peaceful and happy Holiday Season with your friends and families.

Thank you team AgileBits!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tillkrueger: While it isn't possible for the app to automagically know you have a subscription (or that this is the setup you want to use on that particular device, since many people have legacy data as well), we definitely appreciate the feedback on this. We've made a lot of improvements since 1Password.com Accounts were introduced, but there's room for more. We'll continue to do so with the generous feedback of folks like you! And thank you so much for the kind words and your support! We couldn't do what we do without you and the rest of our awesome customers. Have a wonderful holiday season, and never hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions, comments, or suggestions. :love:

• tillkrueger
    tillkrueger
    Community Member

No, I meant that it didn't recognize the subscription after I added the account until I logged out and back in.

But the main thing is that it now works and that I trust you to iron out the wrinkles as we progress through the new year. Thanks for all that you do!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No, I meant that it didn't recognize the subscription after I added the account until I logged out and back in.

@tillkrueger: Oh, well that's just silly. We'll get that fixed. :blush:

But the main thing is that it now works and that I trust you to iron out the wrinkles as we progress through the new year. Thanks for all that you do!

Thanks for your faith in us. We'll continue to strive to earn it! :blush:

This discussion has been closed.