Missing Sync, WLAN Server, and Backup from Preferences

This discussion was created from comments split from: when I update Mac os my sync preferences are removed..

Comments

• nturrill
    nturrill
    Community Member

I have a similar problem with an installation of 1Password on my wife's computers. The License item is missing from the 1Password 6 applicaton menu and in the Preferences the Sync, WLAN Server, and Backup panels are missing when compared with my installation. When I installed 1Password 6 on my wife's computers, I could not immediately find how to create a vault on her Dropbox and mistakenly created an account on 1Password.com. That apparently and inexplicably removed the item from the application menu and the 3 panels from Preferecnes. Now her account is frozen. How do I get back to being able to use Dropbox for a local vault?

• rudy
    edited December 2016

@nturrill,

You're going to need to:

1. Open the Preferences window
    2. Click on the Advanced Tab
    3. Click on "Allow vaults outside of 1Password.com accounts"
    4. It will then walk you through creating a Primary vault
    5. Once you've done that you will want to click on the Vault Picker (where it says All Vaults) in the main 1Password window
    6. Select her Personal vault that's part of her frozen 1Password.com account
    7. select all the items in the account
    8. click on the share menu
    9. navigate to Share -> Primary -> Copy to copy her items out of the frozen 1Password.com account and into the newly created primary vault

now that you've got all your data out of the account:

1. Open the Preferences window
    2. Click the sync tab
    3. Click the primary vault
    4. Click the pop-up on the right to setup dropbox

The last steps you'll want to perform are on the Accounts tab in the Preferences window, select the account and click the button that says sign out.

Rudy

• nturrill
    nturrill
    Community Member

That long procedure did the trick! However, it's not particularly intuitive.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad Rudy's steps were helpful! If it seemed like a long list of instructions, that's because it actually covered several different procedures - creating a new local/Primary vault in addition to existing account vaults, copying all items from Personal to Primary, setting up Dropbox sync for the Primary vault, and signing out of the 1Password.com account in the app. I'm sorry if some of those things weren't intuitive! Fortunately it's not something you should need to do again.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

• ssikkema
    ssikkema
    Community Member

I agree with nturrill. This set up was really really difficult! Wow. I had to do a lot of research, trial and error. Many issues. All I want to do is upgrade from 1pw3 to 1pw6 using dropbox across all my devices. Way to difficult, Agile. The average user is not going to be capable of this, or even be willing. I'm so surprised. I used to highly recommend 1pw. But I no longer will due to the complexity of set up. I'm just so surprised the leadership finds this acceptable.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ssikkema

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with upgrading 1Password. As time has gone by we have introduced more features and options, so updating has become a bit more complicated when coming from such an old version. I'm very sorry for the trouble you've had with this, if there's anything we can do to help you or make this process easier for you please let us know, we're always here to assist you and we'll everything we can to make this experience better :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.