How do I control where backups go? I downloaded 6.5.3 and I it only backs up to your cloud.

presotto
presotto
Community Member

I last used 1password as a licensed version. I just bought the subscription version for my new mac (because I could find no other version) and I find that I have no control over where the backup goes. The old model let me do my own backup and replication. I have nothing against the subscription model and am happy to use it since there is a lot of convenience to not worrying about new versions. I also don't mind that your default setting is to backup to your cloud. However, I am perturbed that the only alternative is to your cloud. I am a paranoid and would prefer to decide where to back up, preferably on a vault by vault basis. I've built my own replicated cloud store and would clearly prefer to use that if I could. Am I missing a control somewhere or have you indeed bundled everything together?

I have found a thread that says you still offer the licensed model. However, I cannot find how one might get that. Also, I don't know if it has any control of where backup goes.

I understand that you believe your encryption to be resistant to offline attacks. Nevertheless, I would rather not offer one more place where my data can be stolen for an offline attack. I work for Google and am just as paranoid about our products as I'm sure you are about yours. However, I know how easy it is to screw up cloud storage and would prefer not to unnecessarily increase my attack surface.

I really don't want to stop using 1password. It is quite nice. Please tell me I'm just missing an option somewhere or that a version with unbundled backup still exists and what I have to do to get it.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: os x 10.12.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I control where backups go? I downloaded 6.5.3 and I it only backs up to the web. Not good.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

@presotto: If you'd like to use 1Password without an account, just select the appropriate option under "Used 1Password before", whether that be syncing, restoring, creating, or opening a vault.

And it's important to be vigilant. Just keep in mind that your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance — whether you use one of our supported sync options or setup your own. Cheers! :)

• presotto
    presotto
    Community Member

Sorry if I'm thick but where is that option? The only place I see to create a vault now is logged into the 1password site and there I see no options. I did see such an option when I first downloaded the current version. Should I just start over?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@presotto: You can always enable local vaults in Preferences > Advanced, and then remove the account from Preferences > Accounts if you'd prefer to use 1Password without it. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.