Logged into 1Password can't change password

zoomzorch
zoomzorch
Community Member

I was certain I had the correct master password when I just changed it ... but must not have. Was able to log back in but can't get "Current Master Password" correct to reset the password. What options do I have?

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @zoomzorch,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your new master password! I'm not quite sure if I understand, though - do you mean you can unlock the 1Password app on your Mac by entering your master password, but when you enter the same thing in the 'Current Password' field when trying to change your master password, it isn't accepted?

If so, what are the exact steps you're taking to change your master password? There are potentially a couple places in the app where you might be doing that - either in Preferences > Security > Change Master Password, or in Preferences > Accounts > Change Password. (If you don't have a 1Password.com account, you won't have that option on the Accounts tab of Preferences.)

Also, out of curiosity, if you just changed your master password, why are you trying to change it again so soon? You should definitely be able to do that if you want, but I thought I should ask in case there's a different issue you're also trying to solve. Thanks! :)

• zoomzorch
    zoomzorch
    Community Member

Thank you for getting back! I've been traveling so late response.

I couldn't log in on my wife's iPhone 7 (ios 10.2) ... so I thought changing the master password would allow me to log her in. Admittedly I was in a hurry because I need to get this fixed & catch a plane. Must have entered the new password twice incorrectly (immediately wrote down what I intended master password to become) because I can't get it right again ... except after multiple quick tries (trying to replicate mistype) on my phone I got access to 1Password. Must have made the same mistake.

In summary, I currently have access on my iPhone because I can use the finger print to open 1Password.

I want reset the master password again so I can get all my devices logged into 1Password.

On my iPhone I'm using: Settings/Change Master Password

Currently I can't change the master password without first getting the current master password correct.

Is it possible to recover the master password?

Thank you!!!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @zoomzorch,

Welcome back! I hope you enjoyed the holidays! :) Thanks for the additional information - it definitely helps me understand the situation better, but there are a few things I'm hoping you can clarify:

I couldn't log in on my wife's iPhone 7 (ios 10.2)

If your wife uses the 1Password app on her iPhone, it would be set up with her data and can only be unlocked with her own master password. But maybe I'm misunderstanding how you have things set up - did you previously set up 1Password on her iPhone with your own data? Were you previously able to unlock the 1Password app on her iPhone with your own master password?

... so I thought changing the master password would allow me to log her in.

Hmm, I'm confused about whose data is currently in the 1Password app on her iPhone and/or whose data you're trying to access. Can you elaborate on how things are set up / how it worked before you started having trouble?

Or are you trying to set up 1Password on her iPhone for the first time? If so, are you choosing to sync existing data from Dropbox during the setup process? What options do you choose during the setup?

Must have entered the new password twice incorrectly (immediately wrote down what I intended master password to become) because I can't get it right again

Can you please let us know the exact steps you took to change your master password? As I mentioned in my last reply, the steps are different depending on whether you need to change the master password for a 1Password.com account or for a local vault (like "Primary").

... except after multiple quick tries (trying to replicate mistype) on my phone I got access to 1Password. Must have made the same mistake.

To make sure I understand, do you mean you can unlock 1Password on your own iPhone, but not on your wife's iPhone? Or can you also unlock it on your wife's iPhone after multiple attempts? When you try to unlock it on your wife's iPhone, are you entering you own master password or your wife's master password?

On my iPhone I'm using: Settings/Change Master Password

There's no option to change the master password on the main Settings screen of 1Password for iOS. Can you please be more specific about which options you tap in order to do that? I'm still trying to figure out if you're changing the master password for a local/Primary vault or for a 1Password.com account (the steps are different depending on which one you're changing).

Also, are you having problems only on iPhones, or also on a Mac? You posted your original message in our Mac forum, so I assumed you were having trouble with the Mac version of 1Password, but if I misunderstood, that might explain some of the confusion. If a Mac isn't involved, and you just need help with 1Password for iOS, we can move this discussion to our iOS forum to help avoid further confusion.

Thanks in advance! :)

• zoomzorch
    zoomzorch
    Community Member

Thank you so much!! Excellent probing questions. To help clarify, it’s my intention to have all devices sync the same data base. Accordingly, I must not understand the difference between a 1Password.com account and a local vault.

Is a phone call possible? I would gladly pay for the phone support. After responding to your questions below, I believe a phone call could quickly resolve things.

I will answer your questions below:

If your wife uses the 1Password app on her iPhone, it would be set up with her data and can only be unlocked with her own master password. But maybe I'm misunderstanding how you have things set up - did you previously set up 1Password on her iPhone with your own data? Were you previously able to unlock the 1Password app on her iPhone with your own master password?
    1. 1Password was set up using the master data set
    2. Can't say for sure if I was able to previously unlock because it's been quite a while since I've tried.

Hmm, I'm confused about whose data is currently in the 1Password app on her iPhone and/or whose data you're trying to access. Can you elaborate on how things are set up / how it worked before you started having trouble?

Or are you trying to set up 1Password on her iPhone for the first time? If so, are you choosing to sync existing data from Dropbox during the setup process? What options do you choose during the setup?
    1. I must have had things set up with a 1Password.com account because everything synced a single data base.
    2. The issue simply manifested when I tried to be sure my wife could access the data before my trip
    3. Other devices such as my Mac sync just via the application and the Google Chrome plug in.

Can you please let us know the exact steps you took to change your master password? As I mentioned in my last reply, the steps are different depending on whether you need to change the master password for a 1Password.com account or for a local vault (like "Primary").
    1. Sure. I made the change on my iPhone ... Settings/Security/Change Master Password
    2. Looking at the settings, I'm syncing a "PRIMARY VAULT" via Dropbox

To make sure I understand, do you mean you can unlock 1Password on your own iPhone, but not on your wife's iPhone? Or can you also unlock it on your wife's iPhone after multiple attempts? When you try to unlock it on your wife's iPhone, are you entering you own master password or your wife's master password?
    1. Correct. I was able to get back into my iPhone by rapidly typing what the Master Password should be ... and somehow replicated what it is. Unfortunately I didn't catch what the Master Password actually is. Since I got in, I can no access 1Password on my iPhone with the finger print.
    2. I've tried to unlock my wife's iPhone using what I believe to be the Master Password.

There's no option to change the master password on the main Settings screen of 1Password for iOS. Can you please be more specific about which options you tap in order to do that? I'm still trying to figure out if you're changing the master password for a local/Primary vault or for a 1Password.com account (the steps are different depending on which one you're changing).
    1. Interesting. I'm looking at my iPhone now (logged into 1P using fingerprint). It's definitely Settings/Security/Change Master Password. I would send you screen captures if I could.

Also, are you having problems only on iPhones, or also on a Mac? You posted your original message in our Mac forum, so I assumed you were having trouble with the Mac version of 1Password, but if I misunderstood, that might explain some of the confusion. If a Mac isn't involved, and you just need help with 1Password for iOS, we can move this discussion to our iOS forum to help avoid further confusion.
    1. Can't get 1P to open on my wife's Mac. Have 1P open on my Mac.

Thanks again. Very much appreciated. You are damn good!

Scott

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @zoomzorch! (And I apologize for my delayed response.) That makes it all much clearer for me, and I can definitely help get this all sorted out. We're a small team and don't have the means to provide phone support, so we try our best to solve problems via forums or email if at all possible. That's often beneficial as it allows you to work on the problem at your own pace, plus it's often necessary to send us diagnostics reports, screenshots, or other information that cannot be sent over the phone.

So, it sounds like you sync the same, single vault ("Primary") between your iPhone, your Mac, your wife's iPhone, and your wife's Mac. If you sync it via Dropbox, you aren't using a 1Password.com account (which is a subscription service we started last year that, among other things, uses our own servers instead of Dropbox).

If you initially set up 1Password on your wife's iPhone and Mac by syncing your vault from Dropbox, it should be using the same master password. But there's an exception: When you change your master password on one device, you need to unlock 1Password on your other devices with the old master password one more time before the new one starts to work (that's because 1Password doesn't sync until it's unlocked). If you haven't unlocked it on your wife's iPhone (or Mac) since changing your master password, it should still be asking for the old master password, but it sounds like that wasn't working for you for some reason.

If you still remember it, you can try the old master password on your wife's iPhone again if you want. However, even if that works, the bigger problem is that you aren't 100% sure what the new password is. Luckily you were able to unlock 1Password on your iPhone, and now Touch ID is working there. You also said you "Have 1P open on my Mac." I'm not sure how you were able to unlock it, but if 1Password is unlocked on your Mac, that makes the solution a bit easier. Here's what you'll need to do:

1. Open/unlock 1Password on your Mac and go to 1Password > New Vault from the menubar.
    2. Give the new vault a name, new master password, and new hint, then click Create New Vault.
    3. After creating the new vault, click the vault switcher in the top left corner of the window and select Primary.
    4. Select All Items in the left sidebar, then right-click somewhere in the item list and choose Select All.
    5. Go to Item > Share > [new vault name] > Copy (then switch to the new vault and confirm your items are there).
    6. Go back to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    7. Select the new vault on the left, then choose Dropbox from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu.
    8. Click the Choose button, then select your main Dropbox folder (then click Open).
    9. Click Create New to create a new sync file in Dropbox/Apps/1Password/ (it will be named after the new vault).
    10. Allow Dropbox to fully sync. (Important!)

Once your new vault (with all your data) is synced with Dropbox, you'll need to reset the 1Password app on your Mac, then set it up again by syncing your new vault from Dropbox:

1. Lock 1Password by clicking the padlock icon in the upper right corner.
    2. Choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data and follow the on-screen instructions.
    3. After the reset, relaunch 1Password (if necessary) and choose Dropbox under "Used 1Password before?"
    4. Click the Choose File button and select the new sync file from Dropbox/Apps/1Password/.
    5. Unlock 1Password with the new master password you chose for the new vault.

Assuming all goes well, you can reset 1Password on your wife's Mac and set it up by syncing the new vault from Dropbox. On your own iPhone, open 1Password and go to 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Erase All 1Password Data, then set it up by syncing with the new vault in Dropbox. On your wife's iPhone, you'll need to delete and reinstall the 1Password app so you can set it up with the new vault.

Please let us know how it all goes and if you have questions about any of that. Thanks! :)

• zoomzorch
    zoomzorch
    Community Member

It worked! Thank you!!

Small caveat I discovered. After "Reset All 1Password Data", and telling 1P to find the vault in Dropbox, 1P didn't see the new vault in Dropbox even though it was there. 1P saw the old vault, but not the new vault. This occurred on both Mac computers. The work around was to choose the vault on the Mac. By doing this, I went to the Mac Finder application, then to Dropbox/1Password (via Finder) and then selected the vault in this folder.

One last question. Is there a benefit over Dropbox to use the 1P server to sync?

Thanks again. You have been very helpful.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, @zoomzorch! I'm not sure why you ran into some trouble choosing the new sync file from Dropbox, but I'm really happy to hear you figured out a workaround and that everything is working for you now. :)

One last question. Is there a benefit over Dropbox to use the 1P server to sync?

Absolutely! Here are some of the benefits of using a 1Password.com account:

• There are no sync settings to configure - you simply sign into your account from the 1Password app, and your data is automatically synced to it from our server.
    • You can access your data from any web browser by signing into your account on 1Password.com.
    • You won't need to worry about paid upgrades for future versions of 1Password - as long as your subscription is active, it includes the latest version of the 1Password app for each supported platform. The Pro features in 1Password for iOS (and Android) are also included.
    • A 1Password Families account makes it very easy to share data with other family members.

We explain more about the difference between 1Password.com accounts and 1Password licenses here: The difference between a 1Password subscription and a standalone license

You can find information about the differences between an individual account and a Families account here: https://1password.com/sign-up/

We're here for you if you have more questions about that! :)

This discussion has been closed.