To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Switching from a Dropbox sync to online sync

Options
bokonon82
bokonon82
Community Member

I apologized if this is addressed elsewhere, but I didn't find anything specific to my situation.

I have been using the Agile Keychain sync via Dropbox for quite a while now and it works great. I have no complaints about 1Password itself. I do, however, have serious doubts about using Dropbox for anything important after what I went through today.

To keep it short, I filled Dropbox when I took a video over Christmas and ever since then I have not been able to clear it out. No matter how many files I removed, I realized it was not registering as empty online or on my computer. I attempted multiple tactics, up to and including complete removal of all files, cache and Dropbox itself followed by reinstallation. After much struggle and complaints to support, it finally allowed files to load and update again.

I had never had an issue like this before and it makes me concerned about utilizing Dropbox to backup my sensitive password information. In this process, I nearly lost my Agile Keychain file as a version of it became corrupted and couldn't be read properly by 1Password. In trying to restore things, cleared all of my 50+ different AND very complex passwords/SSNs/secure notes. Luckily I was able to scrounge this folder back together and all is now restored (though possible a day or so out of date).

Though I'm glad the problem was fixed, I am now seeking another way to keep a backup. I DO NOT trust Dropbox. I only use 1Password on my phone and would like to have it stored there as I like having a layer of biometric identification between ID thieves and my non-encrypted sensitive info. I have a Google Pixel phone (hate iPhones) but I have Macbook Pro and an iPad as well. I don't know a way to use iCloud on Android phones, so outside of getting an iPhone (which I do not want) I'm not sure how to do my backup. I just now signed up for this online account and I'm not sure about the possibility of storing through this, but I'm not sure how I would transfer the data I already possess without mountains of re-entry. I basically just want to get away from Dropbox if possible and the only file left in it is my 1Password backup at this point. I'd like to get it out of there as well.

P.S. What is up with Dropbox now? As soon as I filled it up it began acting like spamware that just wanted me to purchase more storage. When I'd go online it would force me to a page to purchase more space and wouldn't even let me examine my account. I'd click to go home and it'd go there for a second before taking me back to the damn purchase page! This was even after I cleared cookies and everything. I've been using Dropbox for about 8 years I would guess, I never had a problem until now, but this was a big scare for me. I keep a lot of important stuff in there as a backup.

1Password Version: 6.4.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bokonon82: Wow. I've never heard of anything like that happening before, but I can only imagine what a hassle and terror that might have been for you. I too struggle with Dropbox space right on the brink frequently, and it's difficult enough to figure out how to free some up without it failing to work. If I'd experienced something like that, I'd probably feel the same. :dizzy:

One thing I will say though is that even if you lost data in 1Password as a result, you should be able to restore from a recent backup.

While I'm not excited about how you got to this point, I am glad to hear that you're checking out the 1Password.com subscription service. And, related to your comments, one of my favourite things about it is not having to worry about backing up my most important data manually. The server does this automatically, and you can even revert to a previous version of an item if you make a mistake (as I often do...) Not having to configure sync or worry about space is great too, but having lost data in the past, this helps me sleep better at night.

As far as moving your data to your new 1Password.com Account, this is pretty easy. Just follow the steps in this guide:

Migrate to a 1Password Account

Then you can access your data simply by logging into your account on the website or in the apps. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.