Primary vault on external device?

aquarius99
aquarius99
Community Member

Hello,
I'm pretty new to using 1Password. Browsing the manual and discussions didn't answer my question.
I would like to know f it is possible to store & run the primary vault from an external device. It should not be stored on my computer anymore.
Is that possible?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @aquarius99,

Thanks for writing in to ask us about that! This is a question we rarely hear, so I don't think we have anything about it in our online documentation.

I'm not sure if you're asking about running the 1Password app from an external drive, or having the app read the main database off of an external drive, but in either case, that isn't supported and won't work. On a Mac, the 1Password app needs to be in the Applications folder, and that app looks for your database in a specific location in the local ~/Library/ directory.

Is there a reason you can't (or don't want to) have the 1Password app or your data stored on your Mac? If you're using a 1Password.com account, you can access your data from a web browser on any device (although it won't integrate with the 1Password browser extension). But I'm not sure if that helps in your situation?

• aquarius99
    aquarius99
    Community Member

Hi Drew,
    thanks for your detailed answer. Yes, I would like the app to read the database from an external device in order to keep the data separated from the computer. Compared to the media brake you have, when you put the PW down on a piece of paper. I would'nt like to put it on the network, either.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome, @aquarius99! :)

Compared to the media brake you have, when you put the PW down on a piece of paper.

I'm not sure what you mean, can you be more specific about what you're referring to?

This discussion has been closed.