Able to unlock with touch ID without a master password after a reboot

deviantintegral
deviantintegral
Community Member
edited January 2017 in Mac

I just unlocked 1Password with Touch ID after rebooting. I thought a reboot was supposed to always require the master password? I'd just rebooted into Windows for 5 minutes, so any time expiries might not have been hit. Perhaps this is a race condition in clearing the key from the system keychain? Or, is this expected?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @deviantintegral,

I apologize for the delayed response! Thanks for reaching out to us with your question about how 1Password works with Touch ID and your master password.

Rebooting your Mac won't necessarily cause 1Password to require your master password instead of Touch ID - it depends on your settings. If you open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences > Security, you'll see the Touch ID settings, including how often you're required to enter your master password. What is that currently set to on your Mac?

• deviantintegral
    deviantintegral
    Community Member

I currently have it set to one day, but I assumed any auth was ephemeral, like how you need to use your password to log in to OS X after a reboot. It's not a huge issue (I have a strong boot password + FileVault), it just felt off to me.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @deviantintegral,

Like Drew mentioned, the Require Master Password setting in 1Password for Mac specifies how often your Master Password is required to unlock 1Password instead of using Touch ID. It's similar to Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password in 1Password for iOS.

As you discovered, with it set to 1 day it's going to take that long until you need to reenter your Master Password regardless of whether or not you've restarted your Mac.

Also see:

About Touch ID security in 1Password for Mac

This discussion has been closed.