Chase Bank login not working on first try

Using 1Password 6.5.3, Firefox 50.1.0 on Mac 10.11.6, attempting to login to Chase.com using the browser plugin usually (more often than not) doesn't fill in the username before submitting. I can force it to work by clicking on the entry from the plugin, watching the site come up, and then clicking on the entry again.

I'm curious if there's something on my end that isn't right, or if it's just something with the Chase website design?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:chase bank

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

I just tried my own Chase Login using Firefox 50.1.0 and it filled and submitted just fine for me. I'm on 10.12 and using the latest 1Password 6.6 beta but those differences should be irrelevant. Can you check what the URL is for your Chase Login? Mine is https://chaseonline.chase.com/Logon.aspx I find that storing the dedicated sign in URL in the Login can help facilitate open and fill working a bit better.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• grispass
    grispass
    Community Member

(Mac 10.11.6 -- Firefox 51.0.1 -- 1Password 6.6.1)
    I have a similar issue with Chase. I'm new to 1P so am feeling my way around. Chase clearly doesn't want 1P to enter all info automatically (Chase has made me change my password several times as I go thru this learning curve!). Last time I called Chase and they told me not to use a long URL (such as jxpx777 suggests above) but always type the plain <chase.com> in manually. So this morning I typed in <chase.com> and copied & pasted the password from 1P.... and Chase again froze me out & made me change my password.
    I just called Chase again. This time I was told I could use the longer URL but I should always type in the password myself, letter by letter. ouch! When I'm at a desk with a lap-top typing in a long complicated password isn't such a problem but I travel a lot and typing in a long password on an iPad on the road could so easily lead to mistakes.
    Any suggestions? Thank you!

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @grispass,

Thanks for taking the time to write in and sorry to hear about all the trouble trying to get the Chase banking website to work. I'm glad to hear you're a new user of 1Password - hopefully you like what you've found :chuffed:

From your description it sounds like you were going to the Chase website and despite entering the right username & password you were getting locked out anyway. Since you manually copied and pasted the username & password the 1Password extension wouldn't have been involved so I'm guessing that you were locked out because of something unrelated to 1Password. While I don't know everything that could cause your account to be locked I have a few ideas I could suggest based on personal experience with other financial websites (I don't have a Chase account myself). Perhaps one of these other causes might explain why you were locked out:

• When I was travelling sometimes my bank or the PayPal website would request additional security questions because it registered unusual activity based on the location I was connecting from. In my experience I just had to answer my security questions rather than being fully locked out but Chase might operate differently. I thought this might be relevant to you as you mentioned you travel a lot.
    • While at home, sometimes I use a VPN and this can sometimes trigger the same detection of usual activity with the financial websites I use.
    • The number of login attempts within a certain timeframe. This might have been a cause if you had been testing the login with 1Password during your set up.

Now if this was happening while you were at home where you normally connect to the Chase website and not using a VPN then I'm at a loss why you would be locked out so often. You were right to call Chase about this and I would have hoped that they could have explained the reason why you were locked out - e.g. usual location, usual number of login attempts. That would have allowed you to avoid repeating the same scenario.

I believe creating a Login that @jxpx777 recommended is likely the best solution in order to get 1Password to open & fill the Login details into the Chase website. Their recommendation of entering the password one letter at a time manually encourages you to use a more memorable, easier to type and thus weaker password (as you most likely well know). I believe we should avoid such advice if we can and choose to use password managers that enhance our security while also making our web experience more convenient.

I hope this helps and thanks again for writing in! Let me know if we can help in any further way.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• grispass
    grispass
    Community Member

Thank Matthew,
    I have been working on getting 1P going for almost a month so its exhausting. I'm sorry Chase doesn't have an option to talk to a "techie" when I call. Hand typing in a complicated password while you are traveling is a recipe for disaster, as you say!
    I did finally get it to work again but hardly know why. I deleted my 1P bank "login" and started again. Seems best to fill in user name and password on web and then tell 1P to "collect" that info and save it. Well that has worked once this morning and I'm too exhausted to try again. I know I tried that a few days ago and it didn't work. Yes I know not to keep trying as then the bank locks you out totally.

Thanks for your other options. Yes, I know its often harder when traveling but I'm home now with lap-top, desk, phone and good Wifi - no reasons for the bank web site to be so nervous. No VPN. I really want to get this straight before I travel as then I would use VPN, I would be on various connections and not have access to phones easily etc. And mostly on iPad.

I did find this other link on your discussion site:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/75768/amex-bank-login-problem-on-1-of-3-accounts#latest
    I wondered if this might have anything to do with my issue - especially this sentence:
    "How a Login item is created can affect how it may fill. The reason for this is we have a number of filling strategies, all of which are evaluated to determine the best approach to take with any given page."

So could 1P not had liked how I gave it the info? Not sure my brain can get around this but will try the bank again tomorrow. There are many more accounts to deal with and today is my last "free" day of my 1st month trail.... So I need to pay if I go on with this.
    I would suggest a section in your discussion pages just for banks and similar fussy logins. I find emails don't get answered and beginners do need help.

thank you!

• grispass
    grispass
    Community Member

Sorry, I really should give some ancient history:

About 3 months ago, before I got 1P, I suddenly found signing into Chase always got me refused and having to change my password. Each time. I had saved a sign-in web page which had more than just Chase.com but lead me straight to the sign-in page. All this had been working fine for years - the password on a PostIt… (not 1P standards but pretty long…)

I finally found someone on the phone at Chase. I was told
    1/ clear Cookies, Cache and History
    2/ enter just <chase.com> for the URL, not the longer web address I had saved.

The first time I tried after that Chase-web treated me a “new” computer and had to send me a code.
    But after that all went well. I just typed <chase.com> in the URL, entered user name and password and it worked every time.

So it was from that system that I moved to 1P and Chase seemed to rebel.

I only say all this as it seems clear that Chase changed its system last November or December.

thanks for your patience!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@grispass: Ah, interesting.

Matthew had some great ideas, but I'm a Chase customer, and I'm all over the place. Around the world, with or without a VPN, I have yet to get "locked out"; I simply have to perform an additional step on occasion, where they try to send me a code via SMS (bad) or email (less bad) to use after submitting my username and password. Indeed, their system seems to be based entirely on cookies, as I'm only asked to do this additional step if I'm logging in from a different browser, regardless of my IP address or the device I use. For example, I sometimes forget and try to login to the site in 1Password for iOS's 1Browser, which I haven't "authorized" in this fashion. So then they ask me for a code. If I instead, on the same device and network, go to Safari, which I have authorized, the username and password alone is sufficient. At least that's been my experience with my personal and business accounts, in case that helps make some sense of this.

I suspect that their lockout is based solely on failed login attempts which, as you mentioned, are more likely when your'e forced to enter the password by hand. I don't recommend that generally. I don't think I've ever done it with Chase; I've always had 1Password do that for me. So here's what I'd suggest if you have any more trouble: Try saving a fresh login for Chase, just to make sure we're on the same page (no pun intended). Just follow these steps to manually save a new login:

1. Navigate to https://chaseonline.chase.com
      (I've found this login portal to change the least over time)
    2. Enter your login credentials — typing by hand on your keyboard may be best just this once
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form manually if you have autosumbit disabled

With that, one more thing I can suggest that might help is to disable autosubmit for the login and see if that helps avoid any further issues:

It may be that the page is loading slowly for you and Chase isn't getting everything, just your username — enough to lock you out when you fail. If you're still running into trouble, be sure to let me know the specifics so I can test it myself. Cheers! :)

• grispass
    grispass
    Community Member

wow
    Thanks.
    This was really really helpful. Thank you for taking the time.

I went thru your suggestions and they WORKED!
    1/ All my problems over the last week or so have been trying to use 1P’s auto fill-in , never me filling in the password by hand (that was Chase’s suggestion. I was typing “chase.com” by hand but I seemed to get that right (!). 1P has been filling in the password and most times Chase just yelled at me with that “Your Account is locked - you can unlock it now” message (which oddly suggests re-entering the password wh never works - I’ve learnt that - it always means coming up with a new password)

2/ But your idea worked! (I know, I should not be surprised).
    And I had never noticed the “submit” options on the Login as which I really like (I thought I’d read all the instructions…). I did change it to “never submit.” I entered the user name and password by hand and got 1P to create a new login. I closed the browser then re-opened it. Then when I clicked 1P it opened the Chase page with the user name and password filled in and I could just click Sign In and there was my account. I do see the timing might have upset Chase but this manual submit maybe gives it more time. I signed out and tried again and it worked Again. Amazing…

3/ All my 1P experimentation so far has been on my MacBook but I often only have the iPad when traveling (maybe also iPhone but no roaming so it’s really a mini-Pad). A local basic old flip phone for the country I’m visiting.
    **I assumed I would use the Chase App on an iPad but do you think it is better to use Safari App **(or Chrome or Firefox…) on an iPad?
    I have put 1P on the Pad and Phone & set up the 1P extensions following the suggestions on 1P web site but have not tried them with banks yet…
    I would also be running a VPN a lot on the road and trust 1P won’t be put out. I’ll experiment.

Thank you very much for your detailed help!

• grispass
    grispass
    Community Member

May I ask for similar suggestions for Citi bank? I have a credit card there.
    I followed the Chase instructions but just used the Citi web site they have for credit cards sign-in. I started at Citi.com and then clicked Credit Cards which got me this login-in page:
    https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi.action

I went thru the same process as Chase -1/ Deleted the 1P entry I had, 2/ typed User Name and Password into the Citi login page, 3/ asked 1P to "Save New Login" 4/ chose "Never Submit" in 1P 5/ closed the web page and asked to 1P to open Citi.
    Nope - it said there was "some mistake" but gave me the chance to enter User Name and Password again (oddly in a different-looking page. ) I just logged out assuming I'd missed some step...
    Tried again. Same result. And yes I triple checked & my password is correct.
    (For some reason Citi doesn't lock me out and demand a new password like Chase.)

Then I copied the new sign-in page it gave me when I signed off:

https://online.citi.com/US/JSO/signoff/PostSignOffOverlay.do
    Had 1P fill in username and Password and manually clicked Sign In.
    THAT Worked. 1P saved that web address

BUT then I closed the browser and then re-opened it I tried again. It did not work. Citi said there was a problem.
    I assume the problem is with the sign-in page but I have no idea how to choose a correct one.

Any help would be welcome.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@grispass: You're very welcome! I'm glad that helped. Thanks for taking the time to read my admittedly long-winded reply, and try my suggestions! :lol:

The reason I didn't suggest chase.com is that (at least for me), this doesn't take me to a page where I can login. I have to click "Sign in" or something there to bring up a login page, which I feel is a bit tedious.

I'm glad you asked about your iOS devices too. Honestly, I just use their app on my iPhone rather than Safari, as I don't like their "mobile" website. I haven't tried the app on an iPad though, and I think that the website might work okay there since they might give you the regular "desktop" website because of the screen size. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on any of this though, because it's sort of subjective.

Either way, definitely take advantage of our 1Password iOS extension if you're not already. It isn't something we can build into other apps ourselves, so developers will need to add support for it (which banks typically don't do), but it works great in Safari. However, we have a website devoted to the 1Password extension for developers, so be sure to let them know you'd like them to add support for it (and I'll continue to do the same) and point them in our direction. We're always happy to help them join the ranks of apps that support the 1Password iOS extension!

Two other tips I'll offer concerning travel are that some folks have had unexpected issues with 1Password because they turned off cellular data for it and/or turned on Low Power Mode — both is iOS Settings.

And that brings us to Citi... How did you know I also have an account with them? :lol:

They're site is pretty notoriously weird. As an example, when visiting the link you included, I get a cryptic error page:

Oh, Citibank... :angry:

Anyway, I've found that this login page works rather predictably with a desktop browser:

https://accountonline.citi.com/cards/svc/LoginGet.do

Just follow the same steps to manually save a new login there. And while I also use their mobile app because it's just a lot simpler, this URL seems to work okay on an iPhone:

https://citimobile.citibankonline.com/GMP/JSO/presignon/launch.action#signon

If you try to login at the first one though, they'll complain that your device isn't supported.

That should do the trick for you, but let me know if you have any other questions...or help with another site — hat trick? ;)

• grispass
    grispass
    Community Member

brenty, thank you. Pretty soon I’ll go for 24 hours without asking for help. Maybe.

On CITI - thanks for that login page on the MacBk and of course it work beautifully. Odd that Citi is less freaked by “false” sign-ins that Chase. But then banks are odd.
    That screen shot of the Citi page is fab. It says “sorry” twice! And I should contact THE administrator? Mine? I don't have one & what could he/she do? Or Citi’s? In which case where is the phone number? Lovely piece of writing. Ignore me. Sorry.

I did get the 1P extension installed for both the iPhone and the iPad and worked out how to use them on a split screen etc so I have started on that.
    Thank you for the web site on 1P extensions for developers.

Will get to the Citi App on the Phone as I see it won’t let use my usual user name etc, it wants a new one (maybe not) and I can tell it will all need time. Usually the iPad Apps behave like the iPhone ones but are legible. But will investigate. And will try that 2nd Url you gave me. Plus I could use Safari as you say 1P can’t be used on a lot of the Apps.

Very very helpful to know iOS can misbehave for 1P if cellular data is Off or on low power.

thanks again for your help and good humor.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Thanks so much for your kind reply, @grispass. Citi is a recidivist offender for filling failures. We take a look at it fairly often, but it might be time to give it another hard glance. Thanks for the reminder. Do let us know how you get on or if we can be of any further assistance.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

This discussion has been closed.