1Password Back-Up Locations After Upgrading from Version 4 to 5 to 6

gcv
gcv
Community Member

Several months ago I upgraded from 1Password 5 to version 6. However , all of my back-ups and data are still stored in my home directory/library/application support/1Password 4/Backups and /Data. There is also a 1Password 5 file folder in my home directory/library/application support/1Password 5/Backups and /Data. However, there are no backups in the 1Password 5 file folder, and the data files are older than those in my 1Password 4 file folder. Even though I am using 1Password 6, there isn't any sort of reference to version 6 in my home directory's Application Support folders.

When I upgraded from 4 to 5 Agile Bits support told me I needed to retain both the original 1Password 4 folders as well as the newer 1Password 5 folders. It sure would be cleaner if I could remove all the version 4 folders and have everything stored in the 1 Password 5 folders or a 1Password 6 folder if one exists.

Do I still need to retain the 1Password 4 file folders, or can I somehow transfer all my data to the 1Password 5 file folders and delete everything associated with the earlier version. (This is a "housekeeping / clean-up" issue for me.) Or better yet, is there a way to create a 1Password 6 folder with all of the data and back-up files?

I am asking because it seems odd that a) I am using version 6, b) there's are version 5 file folders that have outdated information, and c) there are no version 6 file folders. Everything still links back to version 4.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @gcv,

Thanks for writing in with your question. You'll definitely want to keep the ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4 folder, that is where your 1Password data lives for all 3 versions you've listed. The folder did not get a new name for version 5 or 6.

Rudy

• gcv
    gcv
    Community Member

Hi a Rudy.

Thank you. Just to reconfirm, I can delete the - /Library/Appliation Support/1Password 5 folder?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gcv,

1Password doesn't create or use a folder named "1Password 5", so I don't know where that came from. From your description, it sounds like it contains data files that are older than those in the "1Password 4" folder - is it possible that at some point you renamed the original "1Password 4" folder to change the '4' to a '5'?

Regardless of how it happened, 1Password doesn't use a folder named "1Password 5", so you can go ahead and delete it. Or if you want to be cautious, you can simply move it out of Application Support to the Desktop, reboot your Mac, and make sure everything is still working as expected.

If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.