Touch Bar option disappeared on late 2016 MBP 13, had been working fine.

dslaten
dslaten
Community Member

I'd been using my 1password with touch ID since day 1 (first thing I installed). This morning, the touch ID was no longer an option and the box does not exist in the 1Pass | Preferences | Security tab. Not grayed out, it does not exist.

Recent actions that may or may not be correlated...

• SuperDuper backup to external SSD last night
  • Using a VPN (since I was not at home)

Any thoughts?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• dslaten
    dslaten
    Community Member

Was a wider system issue, Touch ID had been disabled at the OS level and all fingerprints vanished. Hmmmm.

• Hi @dslaten,

I'm glad to hear that you figured out why 1Password wasn't showing the Touch ID options. Unfortunately the way Apple implemented the communication between the Touch Bar/Touch ID sensor and the rest of the Mac leaves it susceptible to other software interfering with the connection (the touch bar and the mac communicate over a tcp/ip connection using a network interface inside the mac).

VPN software that is set to deny local traffic could certainly impact it, and may have been a precursor to the system jettisoning your saved fingerprints. I could entirely see Apple implementing a security measure where it abandons saved credentials if it can't communicate with the process on the mac that's responsible for that integration with the touch bar/touch id.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.