Importing license keys from Mac Bundles to folders

tofele
tofele
Community Member

I have bought a lot of Mac software single and in bundles from various sites over the years, including macupdate.com, bundlehunt.com, macapdeals.com, stacksocial.com etc. I also got 1Password from one of those sites.

Since I haven't kept up with all the license keys in 1Password for quite some time, I now would like to clean up and re-import them all from scratch. My idea is to create a folder for each site and bundle, then import all the keys (including download links) into each folder.

Now I found that some of those sites export CSV only. It seems it is not possible to import a CSV into a folder in 1Password, instead I have to move them around after import. Doing this for many CSVs is rather clumsy, awkward and time-consuming. I haven't tried this with 1pif's yet, as I have not yet found such an export format own those sites.

Is there an easy way to import licenses in a nice and structured way from such sites?

Thanks
Tom

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: El Capitan
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2017

@tofele,

As you've discovered, there is no standard format for a software license - some are keys only, some a combination of various personal / private data, some are more complex binary files. So this thwarts any basic automation in terms of parsing and importing of the license data, let alone the other files that define how you re-download, install, license, etc. a product.

I can't think of any good solution to automatically create Software License entries for your owned software based on your set of folders. You could certainly script generation of the folders names (assuming these are useful as your software product names), along with possibly some additional data from your license and sidecar files, and perhaps these could be structured into a file for conversion and import as Software Licenses. But frankly, I think the time involved in working out an "automated" solution would be greater than working through each one by one.

If you want to go a convert / import route, such that you can assign Folders, you could place your data into a format that simulates an export file for one of the other password managers, and use the corresponding converter in the converter suite to convert to 1PIF. You'd have to select a converter (and hence password manager) that supports Folders. I'm happy to help select one for you, but would need to know the data set you're going to import. Then I could tell you how to structure a file.

I'm even happy to extend the generic csv converter to support the Software License category, so this could be based on a spreadsheet (that includes your folder names).

Hope this helps.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tofele,

I hope MrC's answer was helpful/informative for you! It sounds like he'll be happy to help you further with that if you want. If you have more questions or need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.