a slight misalignment in Identities phone numbers (aka, the most picky of all suggestions)

joecab
joecab
Community Member

I know this has got to be the most OCD of all requests, but under Categories > Identities the "home" and "cell" phone numbers are a smidge too far to the right compared to the other user-entered phone numbers.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joecab,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us about that! I haven't been able to reproduce that on my Mac, so I don't know why that's happening on yours. I tried with the same version of 1Password, although my Mac is running Sierra and it looks like yours is running El Capitan - but that shouldn't be causing the difference.

Is it possible there's a space at the beginning of the home and cell numbers, causing them to appear indented? You can click Edit and click in those fields to see if that might be the case.

If there isn't a space in front of those numbers, try creating a new Identity item as a test - type phone numbers in those fields of the new item, save it, and see if they line up correctly. Does a new Identity have the same alignment issue, or does it appear as expected? Also, does this happen in other Identity items, or just the one from your screenshot?

• joecab
    joecab
    Community Member

Thanks for replying.

Nope, there's no space in front, and to be sure there wasn't something like some weird invisible character in there causing problems, I backspaced over and retyped it. Then I tried repasting other phone numbers in those fields. I even tabbed down to each field to make sure I was retyping everything in there from scratch. Nothing changed. The misalignment also appears in the blank "label" phone numbers for additional fields.

Creating a new Identity exhibits shows the same problem again only with "home" and "cell" fields.

And to make things even even weirder, when you're in Edit mode, the numbers are properly aligned.

Ah well, it's only a minor cosmetic issue. But it sure is odd that I'm getting it but everything is fine at your end.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@ joecab @ Drew_AG
    I can reproduce joecab's work, though I still see the indentation while in "Edit" mode. Maybe a different style in the database?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@joecab, @vplewis: Are you both using WLAN Server? Did you maybe create these items initially on another device? I wonder if we're doing something slightly different with these fields when created on another platform. I'm not seeing this either, and I also wonder if it's specific to the format used (perhaps related as well):

123-456-7890
    (123)456-7890
    1(123)456-7890
    1-123-456-7890

And probably many more that escape me at the moment. Also, this may be related to localization settings on the device. There are likely many other factors that escape me at this moment, and I'll appreciate any additional information you can provide.

• joecab
    joecab
    Community Member

My phone number format for 1PW has always been XXX-XXX-XXXX.

As far as syncing goes, I'm using a WLAN between my iMac, iPhone and iPad. I've been using 1Password for years (since 2008 maybe?) and I've never used syncing via the web (Dropbox, iCloud, etc.). I've always just used syncing with local Wi-Fi, although there was a time in there that I couldn't get it to work with my Airport Extreme so I had switched to creating an ad-hoc network until I fixed the problem.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@ joecab @brenty Well, I go back at least as far as joecab, I've updated pretty regularly since then. Switched to the App store with version 4 of 1Password. I've synced with Dropbox, iCloud, and Wi-Fi (I currently have a WLAN server running but not syncing with anything.)
    Here's a shot of a couple different leading chars. Looks like it doesn't happen in the "default" and "business" boxes but note it shows up in the first unlabeled box as well. Curious.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

@vplewis: Indeed, that's why I'm thinking this may have something to do with when/where it's created, and something specific to that setup, whether it be 1Password or the OS. When I create a new Identity item (10.12.2, 6.5.3, US), I can't reproduce this, with either a local or 1Password.com vault (I was thinking templates might be involved, and they may be in some other way).

What is the field under "Business"? That seems to be the only one offset. Is that just a custom field? Oddly enough, this is what I'm getting:

It looks like yours is a new item too, which baffles me even further.

@joecab: Thanks for the info! Can you try creating a new Identity like this as well and see what results you get? It really seems like it may have been a template issue, either for a previous version of 1Password for Mac or another platform. Let us know what you find!

• joecab
    joecab
    Community Member

Hmmm this kinda fun trying to work this out :)

I have new (potentially intriguing) information! The second I resize my 1PW window at all, in any direction, everything lines up properly! But if I go to some other item (like a different Identity), and then return to this, the numbers are misaligned again.

Anyway here's what I get when I create the new Identity to look like yours.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@joecab: Oh MAN! I was so excited for a minute there. I thought you had it, and that it was simply a resizing issue...but I'm not seeing any change when I resize my 1Password window.

But since you're able to reproduce it that way, maybe there's something else in that vein. Can you tell me more about the system you're using? I've got a retina ("old school" lol) MacBook Pro 15" here with default display settings.

I agree that this is pretty fun, but I'm surprised that you think so too. I wasn't going to be the one to bring it up. It's like a puzzle. :lol:

• joecab
    joecab
    Community Member

I'm a total puzzle fiend, so I'm enjoying trying to help figure this out.

I'm on a Late 2009 iMac (27-inch, model MB952xx/A, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) still running El Cap 10.11.6 with 12 GB memory. Nothing special about my settings AFAIK.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@brenty @joecab The previous shots were from an early 2009 MacPro running the final version of El Capitan. It was a new "Identity" that had been saved. Today's first offering--while editing--is from the same 2009 MacPro "upgraded" to the 2010 firmware so I can run Sierra on it. I'm also including a screenshot created on a 2012 MBA (Sierra) that shows the same issue. So, 2 OS, 2 different machines. I also enjoy the puzzle-solving aspects. Hope these data-points are helpful.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hey @joecab and @vplewis,

Thank you both for the additional data points! They were useful clues that this bug might only reveal itself with certain combinations of devices/displays, macOS versions, 1Password versions, and/or other factors.

I was able to reproduce it on a 2007 MBP (non-retina) and 2009 mini (1080p external) running 10.11.6.
    And I wasn't able to reproduce it on a 2013 MBP (retina) running 10.11.6 and 2011 MBA (non-retina) running 10.12.3 beta.
    All with 1Password 6.6.BETA-2; I suspect results would be the same with 6.5.3.

That last case rules out this being exclusively a non-retina issue. Nor is it specific to 10.11.6.

I'm on a Late 2009 iMac (27-inch, model MB952xx/A, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) still running El Cap 10.11.6 with 12 GB memory.

Similar to my reproducible examples.

I'm also including a screenshot created on a 2012 MBA (Sierra) that shows the same issue.

Seemingly contrary to my 2011 MBA example, and more evidence that it's not fixed with Sierra.

So while conditions required for this bug to appear haven't been fully isolated yet we've now got a better idea of what we're looking for. Thanks again for your reports and helping to solve this puzzle. :chuffed:

• joecab
    joecab
    Community Member

@sjk I feel tremendously guilty that anyone at AgileBits is expending any time and energy fixing something this minor, but as a part-time programmer myself this is exactly the kind of thing I would obsess over. :) Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

Hey @joecab,

I can relate to and appreciate this sort of attention to detail; no reason to feel any guilt on my behalf. :smile:

I've filed an internal bug report, admittedly not at the highest priority, that I hope helps relieve any remaining guilt. :lol:

ref: OPM-4704

This discussion has been closed.