Mac Sync

Laurence
Laurence
Community Member

I have a local version of 1Password running on 2 Macs. They have different data - how do merge and sync the data?

1Password Version: version 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have a local version of 1Password on 2 Macs, how do i sync the data?

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Laurence

You can sync te data between your two macs following the instructions here: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

I think the easiest way for you to do so is via iCloud sync, if you only have one vault. The data will be combined and if you happen to have the same item on both of your computers you'll have a duplicate. If you have any questions or have any trouble setting this up please give us as many details as you can and we'll be glad to help you sort this out :chuffed:

Please let us know how this goes for you!

• Laurence
    Laurence
    Community Member

Hi @Pilar - I understand that is the "easiest way to sync. I bought a local version of 1password - do I need to just start paying the monthly fee? this doesn't seem quite right.

Is it possible to Sync between 2 machines locally? Is it possible to speak to someone at Agilebits to help me understand how this works now?

Thank you,
    Laurence

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

Hi @Laurence

I'm sorry for the confusion, you're talking to someone at AgileBits right now, and I'll be happy to help you sort this all out ;)

If you have a standalone version of 1Password you can sync your data without an account or subscription. Your options to sync 1Password without an account between two desktop computers are to use Dropbox or iCloud. I'd recommend you to try iCloud, it's easier to set up than Dropbox, neither of these options require a monthly fee. This hasn't changed and works the same as it did before we introduced accounts.

Do you mean anything else by "sync 2 machines locally"? There's an option to sync via WLAN, but it only works between one desktop computer and mobile devices. You can also sync to a folder and check to keep that folder in sync yourself, but it's considered an advanced set up and way harder to keep up than iCloud or Dropbox.

Please let us know if you have any further questions, and if you try either syncing method and how it all goes for you :chuffed:

• Laurence
    Laurence
    Community Member

Thanks @Pilar When I said "talk to" someone - I did mean on the phone, or voice chat. I still find this the best and quickest way to understand software questions!

I have a desktop and a laptop machine. I want to keep my 1 password app in sync on both of them and I would prefer to keep my password data local - not cloud. Do you think I shouldn't worry about putting my vault file in the cloud?

Also my other comment, if I bought the application and now you have shifted to a service in the cloud do now "abandon" my local app and start using the new web based service?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Laurence

Thank you for your reply. We're a small company and we're not well suited to offer phone support. I'm sorry about that but I'll be happy to help you out over here :chuffed:

If you want to keep your things local, you can try out the option of syncing to a folder located on a memory stick or external drive and make sure you move it to the right computer when you use it. This is the most "local" way to sync your data. It does take some more work than setting up something else and letting the cloud do the rest.

On the other hand, I'll be very happy to tell you a bit more of how 1Password protects your data and why syncing via Dropbox or iCloud is completely secure for you. This way you'll have all the information available to take the road that best works for you. The key about 1Password is that your data is only ever decrypted directly on your device. Your Master Password is never sent over the internet, and absolutely everything is stored behind a heavy set of encryption. As long as you have a unique, strong Master Password (I'd recommend a randomly generated diceware password consisting of 5 words) if your Dropbox or iCloud data were to be compromised they wouldn't be able to access your 1Password data. 1Password was created to be secure even if someone had access to the file containing the data. This means whether someone steals your computer or someone breaks into your Dropbox account. If you have any other questions about any of this, please let me know and I'll be happy to discuss them.

1Password.com accounts were developed because a lot of people asked us for the functionality that comes with them. Our accounts are another option, another way to use 1Password, but not the only one. We know that some of you will still prefer to keep everything local, and keep on using a license. I'd like to reassure you that we are not abandoning the native apps, and that you do not need to get an account if you don't want to. We are not replacing anything, we've just added some options so each person can find what best works for them :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.