Gift Cards Please

Options
swisskent
swisskent
Community Member

Please add in Gift Card as a new Category. Gift Cards would be synced to all platforms - all devices.

Thank you

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @swisskent

Thank you for letting us know what you'd like to see in 1Password. I will pass your suggestion along to the team, and while I can't tell you when or if we'll be able to see this in 1Password some day I hope you stay around to see what new things we bring to 1Password! Meanwhile, have you tried using maybe the "Reward Program" category? I know it's not exactly the same, but it might do the trick for now ;)

• ovedtuo
    ovedtuo
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Adding my voice to this. It would be nice to have gift cards as a separate category and to have a field to track remaining balances. Where else are you going to store that info?!?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ovedtuo: Credit Cards, since that allows me to fill them too in many cases. ;)

To be frank, we don't have plans to add additional item types, as nearly every time I see a request for one it's for something different. But we would like to make it possible to create custom item types in a future version. Cheers! :)

• ovedtuo
    ovedtuo
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Credit card is a nice suggestion and it makes me wonder if you have data on the most used category for most users? Not the the category that the average user has the most items in, I am guessing of course that would be logins, but I wonder if credit cards are the most used or if not right behind logins as shopping is such a common and frequent activity for people while on their devices.

If that is true, why not pay more attention to how to make shopping easier for your customers? Why the heck is Outdoor License a separate category and not gift card?? I really think you could market a gift card organizer within 1Password and use it as a differentiatior against iCloud Keychain, which with Apple offering for free and getting better and better must be a concern.

Anyhow I have tons of credit cards and I’d personally rather not flood the category with gift cards but keep them separate as I go to that credit card category all the time.

• Why the heck is Outdoor License a separate category and not gift card??

That's a great question, @ovedtuo, and is really the reason that we've put the brakes on adding additional types. At one point a lot of users asked for the outdoor license category, and we added it (as well as many others). Now days the Outdoor License category only really gets mentioned when in discussions like this (i.e. "if you have that, why not this other thing I want?"). As Brenty mentioned, everyone wants different things. We've come to the conclusion that being the central authority on item types isn't a position we really want to be in, because what's right for one set of users won't be right for another.

For now we're starting with simply not adding anymore categories. We have ideas for how to take the next steps to allow you the user more control over these things, but we aren't there yet.

Rick

• ovedtuo
    ovedtuo
    Community Member
    Options

Why not just disable the categories you find extraneous by default but make them enable-able somewhere in preferences? I’m thinking not just a static category I just create on my own for gift cards but making it great like how 1P automatically gets icons for software titles 1P could fetch those icons for their respective company (Best Buy or Walmart or whatever), presenting balances, cards appearing in the menu when you have one saved, generating a card for Apple Wallet, etc. you might not use gift cards yourself but keep in mind they are a very popular thing in our economy and keeping up with them when you have several is a nightmare. Kind of like passwords...

• @ovedtuo : i like that idea, and it's something like that that I'd like to see. It sounds simple to do, but when you take into consideration the fact that 1Password 6 can still sync with AgileKeychain files that can (and often are) read by 1Password 3, things get really ugly quickly. Trying to teach old apps about categories they have no clue how to handle is...not so fun.

The OPVault sync format makes a lot of this much easier. I hope that one day we retire AgileKeychain for good so that we can focus on the future instead of the past when it comes to things like this.

Rick

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rickfillion: And don't forget 1Password 4 (even though you probably want to)! :tongue:

@ovedtuo: Good points! Just keep in mind that categories already won't be listed in the sidebar if there are no items in the vault(s) of that type. These are really cool ideas though. Unfortunately gift card balances would still need to be updated by the user manually, which would make it a lot less exciting as a category. So while I don't think that we'll be able to do that (frankly, we're not going to be able to get balance info from the retailers without giving them something in return, likely at the expense of user privacy), we've got some ideas of how to make it possible for all 1Password users to organize their data in the future. In the mean time, you could always use another item type (Secure Notes, to track charges?) and tag the items as "Gift Card".

Also, this discussion makes me wish for more gift cards this month. Cheers! :lol:

This discussion has been closed.