1password keeps presenting "install" window. Even after I've clicked install, it brings it back up

erichfunke
erichfunke
Community Member

My wife has a MacBook Pro, (2015 model)
1Password has been working well on her machine up until a few weeks ago.
Every time she launches Safari, 1Password launches an "install" window.
Which states:

"Update the 1Password extension
The 1Password extension requires an update to continue working in Safari. To update later, visit 1pw.ca/browser
Not Now / Update Now"

If I click “not now”, it persistently brings it up every few seconds for more than 10 times.

If I click “Update Now”, it takes me to the extension link, where I download it.

Once the download finishes, whether I double-click the 1Password.safariextz entry from within the downloads list, or from the desktop, or from the downloads folder (Ichanged where it should download to to see if it would make a difference), it still brings up the error message:

“An error occurred while installing the extension “1Password”.
Safari can’t install this extension”

I have tried deleting the entire app and re-installing via the App store, but the same thing keeps occurring.

What do I do next?

Erich

1Password Version: 65..3
Extension Version: 4.3.2
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:1password keeps presenting "install" window. Even after I've clicked install, it brings it back up

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @erichfunke,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with the extension in Safari! It looks like you have an older version of the 1Password extension installed, so I'm not surprised you're being asked to update it, but I don't know why that isn't working. If you haven't already done so, try restarting Safari and try again.

If it's still a problem, try uninstalling the 1Password extension from Safari first, and then reinstall it:

• Open Safari and go to Safari > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Extensions tab, select the 1Password extension, and click Uninstall.
    • Reboot your Mac (important).

After it restarts, reinstall the 1Password extension. To make sure it's automatically updated in the future, install it from the Safari Extension Gallery:

• Open Safari and go to the menu for Safari > Safari Extensions...
    • If 1Password is listed at the top, click on that (if not, you can search for it in the 'Search' field).
    • Click the Install now link.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• erichfunke
    erichfunke
    Community Member

Hi Drew,
    I followed through and did as you mentioned, and the update window is back.

What should I try next?
    Erich

• Hi @erichfunke ,

Is it possible that you have two different copies of the extension installed? In Safari, go Preferences and click on Extensions. Do you just see the one 1Password extension? If so, what version is it? 4.6.2 is the latest.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• erichfunke
    erichfunke
    Community Member

Hi Kevin ,
    yes it is 4.6.2.

I also emailed the diagnostics report to the "Agile support Jedi" as per his request,

thank you

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! We received your diagnostics report, and someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Cheers! :)

ref: WGE-44668-192

This discussion has been closed.