Password generator failed

RickCunn
RickCunn
Community Member

I told 1P to generate a new PW for a site. I told it to use 16 letters and 4 numbers. The PW generator showed 20 total characters, letters and numbers. However when it saved to the box where it displays the PW only the first 16 total characters were there. The last four were truncated. It wasn't a display problem, as I went into the display box and counted only 16 characters. Any idea what is going on here?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Sierra
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

Is it possible that the site only allows you to enter a maximum of 16 letters for the password? Some sites unfortunately put this kind of arbitrary limits on passwords. If that is the case, you should contact the owner of the site and ask them why they want you to weaken your password.

• RickCunn
    RickCunn
    Community Member

I neglected to mention the site takes 20 character PW. My bad. I manually appended the missing four random characters in the PW save box inside 1P, brining the total to 20 characters. Then was able to save my 20 character PW. I now see the 20 character PW inside the 1P PW box for that site login. It was the automated 1PW generator that truncated at 16.

• RickCunn
    RickCunn
    Community Member

All well now.

• Hi @RickCunn,

I'm glad you were able to figure it out. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.