Problem with WLAN-Synch and .opvault

NetWorm62
NetWorm62
Community Member
edited January 2017 in Mac

I use 1password on my Mac, two iPhone 6 and a iPad 2 Air. At the end of November in 2016 i changed my synchronization to the WLAN-Server. The idea was to become a better security. I ever use the actual Versions of 1password. When i saved new Accounts or changed passwords, then i did make backup from the Mac on 2 external USB-HDDs.

Just I have a problem with the AFP-Protocol to my NAS (QNAP). Because i thought, that i can use the WLAN-Synch also, when my my Mac is off, i saved the Database on the NAS. I know, it was not the best idea, because I know now that I must start the Mac and must login in 1password on the Mac for Synching over WLAN. The situation now is, that I can't open the Database on the NAS (it is now opvault, before it was ever Agilekeychain). But I have only one opvault-file. I can't find another opvault-files as backup! thats why at first i switched off the Synch on my iOS-Devices.

How is it now possible to use the actual database on my Mac (on the SSD)? When I copy the opvault on the Mac and try this file to open I can type in the correctly password, but after then I can't see any datas. But their is NO error message (password not correct and so on).

My questions: When I now change the Sync to iCloud, are then after synching all datas in the Mac-database can I get problems. And how will the database saved, when I use the WLAN-Synch? Now I can't see under Preferences on Mac, where the files are saved? But I have saved some Backups on Mac during the December in 2016. But I can only find my databases until the Changing of the Synch to WLAN.

Sorry, because of my bad english. I'll hope you can understand my problem nevertheless.

The next what I have to do is to become 1password correctly on Mac again (with database on the Mac-SSD) and to check the backups after then. Then I can check the AFP-Synching Problems (i think, because of the last QNAP firmware-update)...

1Password Version: Mac: 6.5.3
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.2
_Sync Type:
WLAN (optional iCloud)
iOS: 1password 6.5.1

Comments

• Hi @NetWorm62,

If I'm reading your situation correctly... it sounds like you're double clicking on that opvault file on a machine that it was created on?

You shouldn't need to do that at all since the opvault is just an intermediary format and not the actual storage for that data. It should all still be present in 1Password in your Primary vault. It doesn't prompt you to type your password because it detects that the opvault's identifier matches the primary vault's identifier.

iCloud sync and WLAN sync don't create any opvault files. iCloud sync directly writes its data to the iCloudKit servers and WLAN sync directly writes its data to the mobile clients you're connecting.

The database always lives on the Mac SSD so I'm not sure what you mean by that last part. Did you delete all your items in the vault thinking that they only lived in the opvault file?

Rudy

• NetWorm62
    NetWorm62
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Sorry @Rudy,

I didn't get any eMail because of a new answer. Where can I activate to get a Mail for new answers? I can't find it anywhere... Is it OK, when I set the favorite-star for this discussion, that I will get Mails for new comments in the future?

The opvault is not the database, OK! Have you a graphical overview, how the databases are organized with 1password?

Now the situation is as follows: I deactivated the WLAN-Sync on my two iPhone 6 and the iPad 2 Air. At the moment is no other Sync on this devices activated! The situation on my Mac is the only problem. When i start 1password, can i type in my Master-Keyword, but 1password do not open! The Keyword is grey and when i look to the preferences, i can see the name of my tresor, but i can't see where are the backups and all the other settings. So is how 1password can not be used. The only way is to open 1password mini in the menubar and to type in the same Masterkeyword in the Popup-Window under 1password mini. There i have all my logins, passwords and so on!

The problem is, that 1password can not see the file on my NAS over AFP. I think, their is intern a path over the afp-protocol to this file. And it's most likely because of a firmware update of my QNAP-NAS to the latest version.

Now i want to try 1password again - not over NAS. I want to activate my WLAN-Sync again directly over the MAC-SSD. If i want to sync my iOS-devices I need to be logged in 1pw at mac anyway...

How is the best procedure to reorganize my 1password on the Mac inclusive the WLAN-Sync???

Why can I use 1password over 1password mini? Think, because min can directly open the database on the Mac. How can I now reactivated my 1password on the Mac so, that it will use the same database direct on my Mac, at first without looking for the WLAN-Server on the NAS over AFP (because their are actuel problems with afp-protocol). When this is OK I can reactivate the WLAN-Sync.

And how I can guarantee, that the database on the Mac (this is the newest) will be used on the iOS-devices without losing any data?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @NetWorm62,

I didn't get any eMail because of a new answer. Where can I activate to get a Mail for new answers? I can't find it anywhere... Is it OK, when I set the favorite-star for this discussion, that I will get Mails for new comments in the future?

I'm sorry you didn't get an email notification when Rudy replied! Please check any junk folders/spam filters in your email to see if the notification was caught there. If not, you should check your forum notifications settings here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/profile/preferences/

If you bookmark this discussion (by clicking the star/favorite button), you should also get email notifications as long as the "Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions" option is enabled in your forum notification settings.

Have you a graphical overview, how the databases are organized with 1password?

1Password stores your data locally in an SQLite database file on your Mac. That location is different depending on whether you're using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of the 1Password app.

The AgileBits Store version stores data here:
    ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data

The Mac App Store version stores data here:
    ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data

The 1Password app on your Mac always reads & writes to that SQLite file on your Mac, regardless of whether you've enabled one of the sync options.

If you enable the Dropbox or Folder sync option in 1Password, it syncs changes between the SQLite file and a .opvault (or .agilekeychain) sync file. If you enable the iCloud option in 1Password, it syncs changes between the SQLite file and the CloudKit servers. If you use the WLAN Server option, it syncs changes directly between the SQLite file on your Mac and your iOS devices.

When i start 1password, can i type in my Master-Keyword, but 1password do not open!
    [...]
    The only way is to open 1password mini in the menubar and to type in the same Masterkeyword in the Popup-Window under 1password mini. There i have all my logins, passwords and so on!

If I understand what you mean, you aren't able to unlock the main 1Password app, but you can unlock 1Password mini? That's very strange. If you unlock 1Password mini and then open the main 1Password app, is it unlocked?

The problem is, that 1password can not see the file on my NAS over AFP. I think, their is intern a path over the afp-protocol to this file. And it's most likely because of a firmware update of my QNAP-NAS to the latest version.

Is 1Password giving you an error message about not being able to find the NAS? If so, you can solve that by restoring 1Password from a backup:

• Open the main 1Password app and go to File > Backup from the menu.
    • In the Backup preferences window, select the most recent backup and click the Restore button.
    • Follow the steps to complete the restore.

After restoring from a backup, try to open and unlock the main 1Password app again. If that works, you can re-enable WLAN Server and sync with your iOS devices. You should not lose any data by doing that - but if for some reason you do, you can restore 1Password for Mac from a backup again.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.