Using multiple Vaults (but not all) in apps/plugins?

Options
JohnFX
JohnFX
Community Member

Hello,

I just recently signed up for 1Password after some recommendations from friends. I'm a long-time LastPass user, and while I like 1Password more for usability and security, there's one feature I'm having trouble figuring out.

I share passwords with my wife; so we set up a Family account for 1Password. To give you an idea of what I'm trying to do, let me explain how we used LastPass: In the LastPass world, we had just one account that we both logged into (obviously less secure). LastPass has only 1 logical "Vault" equivalent: There's just one big set of passwords in the account. It uses "Identities" to manage different sets of passwords and you can tag passwords to be in certain profiles. This means that for passwords we share, they're the "same" password entity in LastPass, so if one of us updates the password it will show up for the other person. This is the equivalent to keeping a password in the Shared vault. But it also means that we each had two "Identities" that we could use: Personal and Work. Personal was the aggregation of both our personal and shared passwords, and work was just our individual work passwords.

Now, I'm really liking how 1Password manages things. Its a much better system and much more secure for sharing passwords and keeping work and personal separate. But I can't figure out how to accomplish that last bit: As far as I can tell in all of the apps and plugins, I can either select 1 Vault, or All Vaults. What I want to do is select 2 Vaults, but not All. I want to set my "personal" browser to use "Personal + Shared" and then my work browser can just use my "Work" Vault. I don't want my apps that I use for personal stuff to also show my Work accounts, or vice versa. The way we're doing this now is that we "copy" passwords to the Shared vault, but we keep them in our Personal vaults and only use/search "Personal" in the apps. This is annoying because if one of us changes something or saves a new password, we both have to go out of our way to copy/from Shared to stay in sync. I'd much prefer for both of us to just keep shared passwords in "Shared" without any copying/moving needed.

So, for example, what I want on my work Mac: I use Chrome for personal stuff and Firefox for work stuff,
Chrome would be set to "Personal and Shared"
Firefox would be set to "Work"

Is that possible?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• JohnFX
    JohnFX
    Community Member
    Options

Just to clarify, I saw this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/73997/i-donst-want-all-my-vaults-on-all-devices-how-to

My request is slightly different: I don't mind that the devices have access to all vaults, I simply want to be able to configure them to only search specific vaults for auto-fill / capture convenience in the plugins.

• MaxSiegel
    MaxSiegel
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @JohnFX! Thanks so much for taking the time to write in—that's a great suggestion. :) We don't currently have plans to use the exact implementation you're suggesting with the 1Password browser extensions.

We do have several features that may be able to help you out, though:

1. You can create as many vaults as you'd like, which you can assign for different types of Logins. Sign in to your 1Password Families account at 1Password.com, and click on New Vault from the Home page to get started.
    2. In the 1Password app, you can control which apps you'd like to see under the "All Vaults" view, as well as change which vault you'd like to save new Logins to. Both of these options can be found under Preferences > All Vaults.
    3. Using 1Password mini (which works hand-in-hand with the 1Password browser extension), you can easily switch which vault you're using. Try this: open 1Password mini, then click on the 1Password icon to the left of the text field, and select which of the vaults you'd like to view or fill Logins from.

Again, these features don't directly address your suggestion of having 1Password automatically switch vaults depending on the browser you're using, but I think they come pretty darn close. :)

• JohnFX
    JohnFX
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MaxSiegel ! I think you misunderstood my question but you still answered it! Your 2nd suggestion is exactly what I need! I didn't know you could configure what vaults were included in "All Vaults" in each app, that's all I need. I can manually set it once in each browser, I don't need it to be automatic!

Thank You!

• JohnFX
    JohnFX
    Community Member
    Options

So I'm looking at this now; It looks like the browser plugins can't be configured individually. They both (Chrome and Firefox) use the preferences from the Mac App. So I can choose a subset of Vaults to be in "All Vaults" but it applies to all of my browsers, I can't pick Vault A for one browser and Vault B for the other. Maybe that's what you meant by having 1Password switch vaults automatically...

So, I guess my feature request would be to allow plugin-specific settings for choosing Vaults. I know that at least within my professional network its very common to use different browsers to separate "work" and "personal" while you're on a work machine, so its logical to be able to separate the passwords too :)

Thanks again for your help, I hope this feature comes soon!

• @JohnFX I'm glad to hear Max answered your question all the same. :lol: The extensions inherit their settings from the main app, so setting a default vault for each browser isn't currently possible. It's an interesting idea, for sure. Something similar that could be useful is support for Chrome profiles. In that kind of scenario, you could switch from your personal to work profile and 1Password would select your team vault automatically. :)

This discussion has been closed.