[Feature Request] Website field for Emails category

Nonylus
Nonylus
Community Member

We manage hundreds of email accounts. We would LOooooove a 'Website' field in the Email category that works like in a 'Login' category so we can login automatically using the account creds saved in the 'Email' category entry. I thought it was a bug but it looks more like an omission.

The only work around we found is to create a login entry in addition to the email entry, which of course is causing duplication errors and maintenance issues.

How are you guys dealing with this otherwise?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: 1Password Teams

Comments

• Hi @Nonylus ,

Thanks for taking the time to write in with your request. That is a good idea. Typically, I don't use webmail interfaces, but when I do, I have the some frustration. The workaround you you use is the best one to use at the moment. I'll pass your request along for consideration.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Nonylus
    Nonylus
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. I believe that feature could apply for other categories too (Bank account, Reward Program, Server, Wireless Router, Database...) where a website section with login info can be used to login with the default fields of the category.

I hope devs will take this in consideration soon!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks again for your feedback! Just to explain a bit about why it currently works the way it does: There are three 'special' item categories in 1Password (Logins, Identities, and Credit Cards) which are designed to work with the 1Password extension to fill forms on websites. The other categories are basically templates made to store different types of information which isn't commonly used to fill web forms.

For example, the Email Accounts category is for storing all the details you need to configure a native email client, such as a port number, SMTP server, POP3 or IMAP, and so on. You wouldn't normally need that information to sign into a webmail site, but you might need it to set up an email app on your Mac. So the Email Accounts category is really meant to be used for a different purpose than a Login item (which is meant to help you fill a username & password on a specific website - even if that site is for webmail). There can be some overlap between Logins and other item categories, so you might have your email username & password in two different items (a Login and an Email Account).

I understand why it would be convenient to have everything in the same item though, and I think many other customers would like that as well. Perhaps we'll be able to do something about that in a future version. Again, we truly appreciate that you took the time to let us know you're interested in that, as it really helps us to know what sort of features our customers would like to see added!

If you need anything else, just let us know. Cheers! :)

• Nonylus
    Nonylus
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Thanks for the explanation. I understand the logic behind this but it does cause duplication of information in separate categories, which leads to either maintenance hog or mistakes.

The 2 ways I can think of to mediate that is:

• In each category, allow users to add a "Login" Section that can be used like a login category (my preferred option)
    • Just like we can link documents to an entry, allow a login to associate with another entry of a different category

When I talk to friends or peers or clients who use 1Password intensively, this frustration seems to be shared by all of us.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Nonylus,

I understand the logic behind this but it does cause duplication of information in separate categories, which leads to either maintenance hog or mistakes.

That's a fair point! We definitely want to help avoid excess maintenance/potential mistakes, so hopefully we'll be able to do something along those lines.

Just like we can link documents to an entry, allow a login to associate with another entry of a different category

You'll be happy to know that's already possible! When editing an item in 1Password, simply click the Link Existing button (near the bottom of the item details, in the Related Items section) and choose one of the other items in your vault. I know that's not you're preferred solution, but it's something you can do now, so hopefully that will help. :)

This discussion has been closed.