Best practice for syncing vaults

Options
mitchellzone
mitchellzone
Community Member

Hi, I used to have the personal version of 1Password for myself, but have recently upgraded to the Family account. I still have all my passwords in a personal local vault synced by one of the file sharing platforms, and haven't used the online vault in my Family account at all, except to share some passwords with family members.

Would it be a better practice to move my passwords into a personal vault in my 1Password online account, and just use that everywhere? Seems like a better idea than storing a file in Dropbox or iCloud or someplace, if it's set up specifically for this. It's also annoying seeing multiple personal vaults in the app, also, especially when one is not even used. Would doing this avoid having to sync the vault from all my apps?

Assuming it would be better to move my stuff into a Family account vault, is there a migration tool I can use to move all my stuff into it? Thanks.

/mike

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mitchellzone! I'm glad you asked. Your family account can sync everything, and you can choose to put your private data in your Personal vault so it's not shared with anyone else. :) When you originally sign in to 1Password on a Mac, iPhone, or iPad, the app will prompt you to migrate your existing vault over automatically. If you have already signed in to the apps, you can also move your original data over manually. It's a few extra steps, but should get you going:

1. Open 1Password on your Mac and unlock it.
    2. Click the vault menu in the top left of the window and choose Primary.
    3. Click an item, then choose Edit -> Select All from the menu bar.
    4. Once again from the menu bar, choose Item -> Share -> Personal -> Move.

Now open https://my.1password.com in your browser and sign in to your account. If everything is there, go back to 1Password for Mac and click 1Password -> Delete Vault to remove your old Primary vault. You can sign in to your other devices so they are using your account as well, if you haven't already:

Sign in to your 1Password account on a new device

Make sure to remove your old vault from each device. You can do this on an iPhone or iPad by opening 1Password and tapping Settings -> Vaults -> Primary -> Remove Vault. Hope this helps get you on your way!

• mitchellzone
    mitchellzone
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome, just what I needed to know, thanks!

/mike

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Jacob, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• maximus
    maximus
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have a similar confusion are around managing what used to be single and separate iCloud synced vaults in my family. What is confusing me is the difference between the Primary vault I now see and the new Family ones. Could you reiterate/reframe for me the difference between and the storage locations of the old vault and the new ones created after establishing a family account. Do I still have offline local access to my passwords if I delete the primary vault as you suggest above?.

I am still saving to my primary vault (which I've assumed is what sits on my iPad for instance), but not seeing changes mirrored in the 1password personal vault – I assumed they would stay in sync. Now it seems that I may have passwords spread between both. What do I do to now ensure it is all in one always accessible place?

Apologies if this is a RTFM type of question.

• Hi @maximus,

That's a great question. Let me see if I can answer it without adding more confusion...

The differences between your Primary vault and say the Personal vault are mostly behind the scenes and under the hood. As a user, you should be able to think of both as mostly equivalent. I qualify the "mostly" as the Personal vault (or any Teams, Family, 1Password.com vault) has a handful of extra features that the Primary vault doesn't support (Documents, item references, for example). Both are usable offline.

From your perspective, the main difference is that the Personal vault doesn't get sync settings. A 1Password Families vault can only sync with a 1Password Families account, and all of that is managed for you.

The Primary and Personal vault have no real relationship and don't get setup to stay in sync with one another. My recommendation would be that you move your items from your Primary vault to your Personal vault, then remove the Primary vault. We have a guide that walks you through how you'd do that here:
    https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Rick

• maximus
    maximus
    Community Member
    Options

Fab and thanks for the clarification.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Rick, you are most welcome! We're here if you have any other questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.