When i go to One password Preferences then Backup and click on "show files", I see a bunch of ZIP

minke
minke
Community Member
edited January 2017 in Mac

I am trying to reformat a hard drive onMBP and do not want to use iCloud and I do not want to loose my passwords

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Is 10.12.2
Sync Type: External hard drive

Comments

• minke
    minke
    Community Member

I am using a MBP and i would like to reformat my hard drive. How do migrate One password to an external drive so I do not loose my passwords when I reformat. The OS system is sierra

1Password Version: 6.5.3
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OS 10.12.2
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:migrate one password to external drive so i can format my hard drive

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @minke

Thank you for taking some time to write to us. The easiest way to keep your data safe while you reformat your computer is to set it up to sync, iCloud is the easiest option if you only have one vault. You can see how to do that here: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/ You can just point 1Password to your data here when you install it again after formatting. I'd recommend you to also go to 1Password Preferences then Backups and click on "Show files". You can keep a copy of that folder on one (or more!) external drives so you can have an extra backup system :chuffed:

Please let us know how this goes for you!

• minke
    minke
    Community Member

Thank you for your assistance. I have a problem using iCloud as I have to unlock one password possible making my password available to a problem I may or may not have with a packet sniffer. Therefore the reformat of the hard drive. When i go to One password Preferences then Backup and click on "show files", I see a bunch of ZIP files that come up for One Password 4. DO I copy these to my external hard drive and once I have reformatted to I copy these file back to one password 6???

• Hi @minke,

Those zip files contain snapshots of your 1Password data and can be used to repopulate 1Password on your clean install. I would certainly double check that the most recent one in that folder has a creation date that is relatively recently. if it isn't then you'll probably want to copy the actual Data folder somewhere(to a server, to a usb drive, etc) so that you're able to copy it back to the right location on your MBP after you've reformatted the drive.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.