all of the passwords on my iMac were duplicated. how can i fix this?.

bcrowe77
bcrowe77
Community Member

I installed first on the mac then on the iPad, iPhone and MacBook. everything sync'ed across but all of the passwords were duplicated on the iMac. need to eliminate the dups

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:all of the passwords on my iMac were duplicated. how can i fix this?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@bcrowe77 in order for someone to give some sensible suggestions you really need to provided the information marked as "Not Provided" at the bottom of your post. In particular, it's crucial for us to know what versions of 1Password you're using and how you're synchronising your 1Password data between devices.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bcrowe77,

I'm sorry you ended up with duplicates of your items! We'll do our best to help, but as Stephen said, we'll need to know a few more details about your setup:

Also, at what point did the duplicates appear? Are all your items duplicated on all four of your devices, or only on one/some of the devices? Are all of the items in the same vault, or is it possible the duplicates all in a second vault? Are all items duplicated, or just certain items? The more details you can give us about this, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• bcrowe77
    bcrowe77
    Community Member

1Password versions:
    IMac: v6.5.3
    Macbook: v6.5.3
    IPad Air 2: v6.5.1
    IPhone 5 SE: v6.5.1

I purchased the app from the Apple App Store.
    I installed it first on the IMac - which is the only device that is duplicated.
    I have the "Mini" in the OS menu bar on both Mac's.
    On the IMac: I have a Primary account and a Personal account. The primary has the 81 original passwords that I manually entered. THe personal account has 86 passwords that are apparently a result of entering them on a new login site or by a syncing function.
    THe syncing function seems to happen automatically.

Thanks for your help.
    Bill

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you, @bcrowe77! That helps, and I have an idea of what happened. If I understand, the Primary vault is only on your iMac, and the Personal vault is on all four of your devices.

The Primary vault is not part of your 1Password.com account - it's the vault you were using on your iMac before you signed up for an account. It's a separate vault that is only stored locally on your device unless you sync it elsewhere by using a option such as Dropbox or iCloud.

The Personal vault is part of your 1Password.com account. Normally, when switching to an account, you would add that account to the 1Password app, move all your items from the Primary vault to the Personal vault, and then remove the Primary vault. My guess is that you copied your items from Primary to Personal, but never deleted Primary after doing that.

But that's ok - from your description, it sounds like all your latest data is in the Personal vault (i.e. the original 81 items plus several more you've added since then). In that case, all you need to do is delete the Primary vault. To do that, switch to the Primary vault in the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Delete Vault... in the menu. After reading the warning that appears, enter the master password for your Primary vault and click Delete Items and Vault.

Now you should have just the Personal vault with all your items and no duplicates. Please let us know how it goes and if you have any questions about that. Cheers! :)

• bcrowe77
    bcrowe77
    Community Member

thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! I hope that helped to get things sorted out on your end, but we're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great week! :)

This discussion has been closed.