Mac - 1Pv6 suddenly stopped backing up, now Key required to open my 1P

macbuz
macbuz
Community Member

The Key is fouling me up. I searched and read about this issue and the reply from 1P support was to 'restart 1P mini' should fix the backup issue. When I did this I was then asked for 4 pieces of proof: Sign-in address / Email Address / Account Key / (and) Master Password. Had I known I may have just lived with no backups and the annoying pop up every 15 minutes that 1P isn't backing up. It's a matter of the lesser of two evils.

My issue is how to apply the Key to the sign in window. Copy and paste doesn't work. I have the Key downloaded from 1P Support, but how do I apply it to the Sign In window that I need to open my 1P? Seems this is something new.

Perhaps some folks need this level of security - I don't, simple security suits me just fine. Maybe 1P could have selectable levels of Sign In security, if you need the highest because you have national security secrets in your 1P, then perhaps you would want the highest level. I have a social security number to protect and I don't care THAT much about that. It's nice having a place to hold stuff that is important to me, but it isn't life threatening if I were to loose it all - life would go on.

How do I apply the Key to the Sign In window, nothing I have tried works? Oh, I can't find the Emergency Kit or QR code either?

Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1P6 suddenly stopped backing up

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@macbuz: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you subscribe to 1Password Families (or Teams), or signed up for an individual subscription plan. That’s the only way you’ll have an Account Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account you can sync your data from another device or create a new vault. That would explain why the Account Key is something you're unfamiliar with. Let me know!

• macbuz
    macbuz
    Community Member

I have had my 1P for years. A week or so ago it suddenly decided to stop backing up. Maybe every 15 minutes I was 'warned' that it had stopped backing up. I googled the terms in the pop up and it said that I should quit 1P mini and restart. Well, that is all well and good, but it led to where I am now. When I launch 1P I get this for a sign in window:

I don't know what has changed, but previously, this was not the sign in window - I used to use my email or user (I forget) and my password. I can't figure out how to get my key in to the slot.

• @macbuz,

That's certainly strange. If you had data prior to quitting and restarting it shouldn't have taken you to the window that appears when you have no data at all. You definitely don't have an account in the same sense that the dialog in your screenshot is requesting details for. You'll want to click the "use a different method" button in the bottom left of the window and take a different path, though I do wonder where your data went. Had you previously used the Mac App Store version and inadvertently downloaded a copy directly from our website?

Rudy

• macbuz
    macbuz
    Community Member

I haven't changed anything in or about my 1P for maybe a year or more, maybe 2 years. It was working as expected (seamlessly) when Backups just up and quit. My google search led me to a thread by a gentleman who's issue was identical to mine, so I followed - apparently right off the cliff. The instruction for this other guy was to go to (in the main app) Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. Afterwards is when I got the 'accounts' sign in dialog - which I don't have, mine is standalone.

I'm back. Found my backups in Application Support > 1 Password 6 > Backups. Had to add them back in to the Preferences > Backups. All running smoothly - thank you. Not sure how 1P defaulted to the Accounts - Sign In window and I overlooked the "Use a different method'" note. Oh well, alls well that ends well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@macbuz: It sounds like you simply have multiple copies of 1Password on your computer, so that after you quit it the other day you opened the other one (meaning not the one you'd been using). I'm glad you were able to restore from a backup, but I want to be sure you don't run into the same issue again. Please do a Spotlight search for "1password" and let me know if you get more than a single result.

This discussion has been closed.