about 1Password license (how many computers) and how best to migrate 1Password

diitto
diitto
Community Member

Hi, I just bought a new macbook pro laptop. One of the first apps I want to have to use on this new laptop is 1Password. I own it for both the Mac and for iOS. But for how many computers??? One, three, as many as I own??? What?? I could look it up but I'm feeling lazy (sorry), plus I have a second question. What is the best way to Export my 1Password database from the older to the new mac???

Got many more apps to do later and 1Password was the second one I want to add. First was installing Google Chrome but heck, that's one button click to download, then open the dmg, then drag to Applications. So that one almost doesn't count. 1Password is the first one for which I am about to apply real effort.

Oh, and I don't use iCloud. Online backup, yes. iCloud, no.

Let me know... And thanks for creating 1Password...

bob

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Sierra 10.12.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @diitto,

Congrats on your shiny new MacBook Pro! I'm happy to hear 1Password is one of the first apps you want to install/set up on it. :)

I own it for both the Mac and for iOS. But for how many computers??? One, three, as many as I own???

As many as you own! If you bought a license for 1Password for Mac, that covers all of your Macs. Or if you happen to have a subscription for a 1Password.com account, that covers all of your Macs, Windows PCs, and iOS & Android devices.

What is the best way to Export my 1Password database from the older to the new mac???

You didn't mention how you currently sync your 1Password data between your older Mac and your iOS device(s), but if you use a 1Password.com account, simply sign into that account in the 1Password app on your new Mac. Or if you use Dropbox, make sure you've installed Dropbox on the new Mac and allowed it to download all your files to the local Dropbox folder, then choose the Dropbox option when setting up 1Password. There are other methods, and we describe most of them here: How to move your 1Password data to a new computer or device

And thanks for creating 1Password...

Well, I can't take credit for that myself, but I'll be happy to forward your comments to Dave & Roustem, as well as the rest of our developers. I'm really glad 1Password has been so useful in your life - we want our customers to enjoy using it as much as we love making & supporting it! :)

If you need more help setting up 1Password on your new MacBook Pro, just let us know. Cheers!

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Hi Drew, Thanks for the response. I should have said, I don't sync between devices. I have and use a very limited set of saved logins on my iOS device and I created them all right there. I have a differeent and more extensive list on the old MacBook Pro that I would like to export from one laptop and import to the other new laptop. I just don't trust cloud storage for certain files. I will read the link you pasted above. I've done it before. It's just been a while. I will read and learn. thanks much... bob

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@diitto: Also keep in mind that, whether you sync your data once or on an ongoing basis, your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. It adds a lot of convenience to keep the same data across all devices, and there's no security risk to doing so provided you properly secure your accounts using long, strong, unique passwords (and multifactor authentication, where available). Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.