feature request: duplicates check/remover

BAMvsGAME
BAMvsGAME
Community Member

would be great if 1password could check for duplicate titles and remove the ones not opened recently. If you accidentally import an extra set or something and end up with extra it can be a pain to go through all the different passwords.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BAMvsGAME: That's certainly something we can consider, but I think it depends heavily on using 1Password a very particular way. ,That would only cause me headaches, as I have a lot of items with the same names. For example, I have a Bank Account, Login, and Credit Card item for each bank account -- same names, since they're technically all the same account, only different bits of information relevant for specific purposes. And I find that searching for duplicate passwords makes for a more reliable way of tracking down superfluous data, as no two accounts should really have the same passwords. But I'd love to hear more about your use, since there's probably something we can learn from that as well. :)

• horseman
    horseman
    Community Member

Brenty - I have recently implemented a Family (team) account (as opposed to individual Family licensed accounts) and moved from Dropbox to iCloud (via a clearly inappropriate merge on hindsight) and as a result have managed to duplicate something like 1500 records! There are now obviously 1500 duplicates with same name (and same creation/change date) in same category!

Now in your example you appear to state you have a lot of items with same names but presumably contained within different categories?

Perhaps it's a comprehension problem on my part (very likely at my age) but surely one obvious basic type of duplicate is that within the same category with same MD5 hash(or equivalent Agile alternative)?

I thought "optimisation" would remove these "obvious" duplicates but apparently not!

Yes completely my fault and yes I can export data and use other external tools to remove/cleanup and re-import "optimised/condensed" database but after 10+ yrs with 1password I frankly prefer not to expose any 1PW data "in the clear' outside of 1PW environment!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

As much as I think a duplicate remover might be beneficial, I would rather see a security audit first. The security audit could implement a built in duplicate check/removal tool. Duplicate passwords are a security risk, aren't they?

Password reuse is to be avoided.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Brenty - I have recently implemented a Family (team) account (as opposed to individual Family licensed accounts) and moved from Dropbox to iCloud (via a clearly inappropriate merge on hindsight) and as a result have managed to duplicate something like 1500 records! There are now obviously 1500 duplicates with same name (and same creation/change date) in same category!

@wkleem: Yikes! Do you have a backup of your data from before this? It may be simplest to go back to that point and then we can help you come up with a plan of action that may be less problematic.

Now in your example you appear to state you have a lot of items with same names but presumably contained within different categories?

Not if you count my similar logins: Google, AgileBits, etc. Many of these are differentiated only by username. Certainly my example above is focused on an "account" situation where I have different data for different purposes, but there are other possibilities as well I'm sure. I literally have 12 Google Accounts.

Perhaps it's a comprehension problem on my part (very likely at my age) but surely one obvious basic type of duplicate is that within the same category with same MD5 hash(or equivalent Agile alternative)?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking here. Can you give an example?

I thought "optimisation" would remove these "obvious" duplicates but apparently not!

The short version is that each item within a vault is, in fact, truly unique, in that it has it's own UUID (Universally Unique IDentifier) number. Nowadays this is true across vaults as well. The main purpose of this is so that copying/sharing an item doesn't overwrite another simply because it is similar. Also, if you change the name of an item on one device and then sync, if there wasn't a UUID, you'd end up with two items — essentially one being a duplicate with a different title — instead of having the new version with the name change supersede the older copy. Those are fairly simplistic examples because it can get confusing and difficult to even explain with more detail, but hopefully that gives you an idea of why it is the way it is.

Yes completely my fault and yes I can export data and use other external tools to remove/cleanup and re-import "optimised/condensed" database but after 10+ yrs with 1password I frankly prefer not to expose any 1PW data "in the clear' outside of 1PW environment!

I agree completely that that isn't desirable. Let me know what you have to work with. Maybe I can help.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

@brenty, I was replying to @horseman but I didn't tag anyone. I don't have 1500 items. Well, maybe 500 to 600 items, which I find plentiful already. It could be trimmed down further. 10 years of 1Password does sound like me though! :) I only started in 2008 or 09.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Ah, okay. And apparently I accidentally tagged you instead of @horseman with my reply too. Sorry about that! :lol:

@horseman: I actually meant to direct my reply above at you. Let me know if that helps!

• BAMvsGAME
    BAMvsGAME
    Community Member

@brenty well I'm more referring to the importing/exporting features. I used 1password before accounts came into play and had to swap from dropbox. I had previously synced with iOS before I realized that 1password was cross-platform as well so I ended up with duplicate information. It's just me that uses this, so I just have my one account with a single vault.

PS. sorry for the long wait, college has been eating my time :'(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BAMvsGAME: Whoa, hey, hopefully you only have the privilege of paying for college once, so by all means get the most out if it that you can! :lol:

Are you still trying to sift through data from multiple devices? I'm glad to hear that it's at least not a ton of vaults from various sources. Let me know if there's anything I can help with! :)

This discussion has been closed.